Disabling Sendmail

In rc.conf I have
Code:
sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"

but /var/spool/clientmqueue is still filling up. How do I completely disable sendmail?

Hi, the /var/spool/clientmqueue directory is filling up only by a Sendmail process to the localhost interface. Nothing more, nothing less. It is very important from security point of view. It means that Sendmail does not need to have setuid root for outgoing users mails to write messages to that directory. I think, that it is normal, that there is many messages. But if I am wrong, and this option is simply not needed to be enabled (I mean sendmail_msp_queue_enable/_flags of course), then please correct me.

More info about this issue you will find, by reading Clientmqueue keeps filling /var - especially read DutchDaemon message, clientmqueue filling up and maybe disable sendmail completely. This daemon is enable by default (see /etc/defaults/rc.conf file).

If it is about disabling sendmail - There is also the "NONE" option for a sendmail_enable. Did you tried to take advantage of it? I hope, that I helped you in some way. Best regards!

Should I replace the four sendmail lines with just
Code:
sendmail_enable="NONE"
or do I need all of them?

I guess I will also add
Code:
NO_SENDMAIL=true
to make.conf and rebuild world.

bsd10 said:
Should I replace the four sendmail lines with just
Code:
sendmail_enable="NONE"
or do I need all of them?

It's the same thing:
/etc/rc.d/sendmail
Code:
case ${sendmail_enable} in
[Nn][Oo][Nn][Ee])
        sendmail_enable="NO"
        sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
        sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
        sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
        ;;
esac

The single NONE is preferable because it can't get mixed like four different entries can.

Back