Disable bunch of system messaging on tty0

Dear FreeBSD Gurus!

How to disable noisy/annoying output from BIOS (motherboard, RAID, IDE controllers, etc…) on tty0 ?

I mean that a lot of messages (for example “noperiph:ata0:0….rescan already queued”, “ugen1:.7…at usbus1”, “RAID Consistency check….done”, …” make impossible to comfortable terminal work in tty0.

Like this (not mine, but the same)

AECB1D12-3BC2-4015-8021-C6ECDAA086A4.jpeg

P.S.
I know that possible switching on tty1…tty5 and working. But need to solve issue with tty0.

Last edited:
The messages might be written by the kernel , i.e. not a service.
As far as i know there is no solution to it but switching to another console.
I have had this problem when dropping into single user mode. And then it's very annoying when you want to edit a file.
[Or you could physical remove the USB device which is causing the messages]

Agree if the color of the text is bright white it's from the kernel.

Look for the "console" log (/dev/console)

# Log all kernel messages, authentication messages of
# level notice or higher, and anything of level err or
# higher to the console.
# Do not log private authentication messages!
*.err;kern.*;auth.notice;authpriv.none;mail.crit /dev/console

The messages might be written by the kernel , i.e. not a service.
Both BRIGHT-WHITE and NORMAL color text in my particular case.

As far as i know there is no solution to it but switching to another console.
Sad to read this in 2024 and 14-REL version:)

I have had this problem when dropping into single user mode.
Not only in the single user mode in my particular case.

And then it's very annoying when you want to edit a file.
Impossible to edit, agree!

[Or you could physical remove the USB device which is causing the messages]
The messages is not exactly from usb daemon, internal RAID, mouse, etc…

Dear FreeBSD Gurus!

How to disable noisy/annoying output from BIOS (motherboard, RAID, IDE controllers, etc…) on tty0 ?

This is a huge non-problem. If you want to use a vt just press Alt-F2 through Alt-F8 (and Alt-Shift F keys if you need more) and get to work.

Or script shifting vttys with [edit] vidcontrol -s 2 .. 9 [/edit] from e.g. /etc/rc.local late in booting.

Just as from a graphics DE you can use say Alt-Ctrl-F8 to see all messages from Xorg.

I mean that a lot of messages […] make impossible to comfortable terminal work in tty0.

Sure. It's there so you can see what you will surely be glad that you can see at some stage, and can scroll back pages of it.

I know that possible switching on tty1…tty5 and working. But need to solve issue with tty0.

To avoid starting with e.g. Alt-F2? Need or just Want?

can you try conscontrol mute on
Working, thanks!

It's not a best advice because you still want to see some messages related to the RAID for example. You don't want to miss those for sure.
Generally, all of this messages I not needed on local-attached VGA/XGA screen (because this is bare metal rack server):
1. There are separate syslog log analyser and alert manager;
2. Because this is bare metal server, critical logs about hardware state also saved in motherboard BMC/IMM memory (from which all msg logs also come to log analyzer and alert manager);

This is a huge non-problem. If you want to use a vt just press Alt-F2 through Alt-F8 (and Alt-Shift F keys if you need more) and get to work.

Or script shifting vttys with [edit] vidcontrol -s 2 .. 9 [/edit] from e.g. /etc/rc.local late in booting.

Just as from a graphics DE you can use say Alt-Ctrl-F8 to see all messages from Xorg.

Sure. It's there so you can see what you will surely be glad that you can see at some stage, and can scroll back pages of it.

To avoid starting with e.g. Alt-F2? Need or just Want?
The main goal are: just after FreeBSD starts, immediately starting btop that make output on local VGA (if connected) for visual observation AND one of vt (for example tty0).

A9A26573-8917-4B0B-8CA2-DB68C63FB2C1.png

If You know the best possible way how to make this - please suggest, I would be VERY THANKFUL!

Attachments

• E79845A9-285A-41FD-8379-1C02F4A5EF9F.png
    E79845A9-285A-41FD-8379-1C02F4A5EF9F.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 37
The main goal are: just after FreeBSD starts, immediately starting btop that make output on local VGA (if connected) for visual observation AND one of vt (for example tty0).
If You know the best possible way how to make this
I wouldn't use ttyv0. The kernel writes messages onto that console. Better is to switch to a virtual console automatically (then autologin into a user account and run sysutils/btop). I can't tell if it's the best possible way, but it's one way.

Steps
  1. create a script to switch after boot into multiuser mode into a virtual console
  2. add a user to system for running solely sysutils/btop and include user to autologin class in /etc/gettytab (almost at end of file)
  3. add autologin class information to ttyv* line specified in the above script in /etc/ttys
  4. edit autologin users login shell configuration file to autostart sysutils/btop after automatic login
  5. eventually secure (limit) user account against local and remote access, and to execute executables (see chapters Security, Access Control Lists, and Mandatory Access Control in handbook)

Note: If autologin user is logged out, it will login instantly, automatically, and sysutils/btop will reappear. I guess this is due to the terminal information entry to the virtual console in /etc/ttys.

I wouldn't use ttyv0. The kernel writes messages onto that console. Better is to switch to a virtual console automatically (then autologin into a user account and run sysutils/btop). I can't tell if it's the best possible way, but it's one way.

Steps
  1. create a script to switch after boot into multiuser mode into a virtual console
  2. add a user to system for running solely sysutils/btop and include user to autologin class in /etc/gettytab (almost at end of file)
  3. add autologin class information to ttyv* line specified in the above script in /etc/ttys
  4. edit autologin users login shell configuration file to autostart sysutils/btop after automatic login
  5. eventually secure (limit) user account against local and remote access, and to execute executables (see chapters Security, Access Control Lists, and Mandatory Access Control in handbook)

Note: If autologin user is logged out, it will login instantly, automatically, and sysutils/btop will reappear. I guess this is due to the terminal information entry to the virtual console in /etc/ttys.
NICE SOLUTION! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So, one extra question appear:
How to setup using different font size (and possible different fonts) in different vt ?

This mean (for example) “8x16” in ttyv1 (autologon btop user w/ restrictions) and “10x18” in all others ttys.

P.S.
You may answer here or in separate topic to help others to keep focus on certain subject (we all here to exchange experience and learn). ;)

Thank You again one time!

Back