difficult KDE install on FreeBSD VM

I am having difficulty with my KDE install onto FreeBSD inside Oracle VM
VirtualBox which I feel is probably caused by my different hardware, which is:

Dell Inspirion 15 3580
Processor Intel Celeron 4205U, 2Cores/2Threads, 1.8 GHz, 2MB Cache
Integrated Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 610

I am already familiar with the instructions given at:
https://linuxhint.com/install-kde-on-freebsd/

I attached an image of the errant KDE result. If that helps.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2022-11-14 16_55_58-Greenshot.png
    2022-11-14 16_55_58-Greenshot.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 89
I am already familiar with the instructions given at:
Weird instructions. Why are they enabling kdm4_enable and hald_enable? Instead of searching for random articles on the web, use the handbook. https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook

Any suggestions?
Fix your ~/.xinitrc.

Reminds me of this *scnr*:

1668526223930.png

Seriously, this is not KDE, it's twm 🙈
Yes, if you expect to start your X session with startx(1), follow SirDice' advice. Or use e.g. x11/sddm if you prefer a "graphical login" giving you a choice of the session type. The handbook should have you covered.

If you got Xorg going, just install the latest KDE using #pkg install x11/kde5, and set it up as instructed in the Handbook. I personally recommend installing editors/nano first, this will make it easier to edit the config files ;)

Of course, the real issue here is tons of outdated tutorials/blogs/etc you'll find on the web. So, always consult the handbook first, it's normally kept up to date, and chances are you will find what you're looking for.

If you keep running into issues following the handbook's instruction, just follow up here ;)

Hello astyle : I ran # pkg install xorg and # pkg install kde5 again. They ran very quickly because said already installed (true). The # pkg install x11/kde5 replied same that already installed. The nano text editor is installed as you recommended. Xorg may not yet be running on my machine. Please see those additional comments below.

Hello zirias : I downloaded the FreeBSD handbook (.pdf) and read chapter 5 about installing X windows system. I only understood some of it. There was some interesting info about Intel coprocessor configurations which may apply in my case, but I did not understand it fully.

Hello SirDice : I cannot yet fix my ~/.xinitrc because I do not know what specifically the contents should be for my case. Below is the file contents listing for the two files I have been involved with. I suspect xorg is not yet running on my machine. Please see below listings and commands.

/etc # cat rc.conf same as ~ # cat rc.conf [contents same both files]
Code:
hostname="abcdefghij"  [actual guest name value obscured]
ifconfig_em0="DHCP"
ifconfig_em0_ipv4="inet xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa"  [actual ip value obscured]
ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa"  [actual ip value obscured]
SSHD_ENABLE="yes"
# sET DUMPDEV TO "auto" TO ENABLE CRASH DUMPS, "no" TO DISABLE
DUMPDEV="auto"
ZFS_ENABLE="yes"
bdus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
kdm4_enable="YES"
slim_enable="YES"
# kld_list="nvidia nvidia-modeset"  [this machine does not have nvidia card]
# [this machine is known to have an integrated graphics coprocessor Intel UHD Graphics 610]
# [this machine might have a graphics board, but that is unlikely and undetermined]
vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"

/usr/local/etc/X11/xinit # cat .xinitrc same as ~ # cat .xinitrc [contents same both files]
Code:
exec ck-launch-session startplasma-x11

~ # xorg
xorg: command not found
~ # echo XDG_SESSION_TYPE
XDG_SESSION_TYPE:  undefined variable
~ # startx
result is completely black screen in VM window, Ctl-Alt-Bksp does not exit

Code:
# [this machine is known to have an integrated graphics coprocessor Intel UHD Graphics 610] 
# [this machine might have a graphics board, but that is unlikely and undetermined] 
vboxguest_enable="YES" 
vboxservice_enable="YES"
You have a VM, it's completely irrelevant what kind of graphics card the host has, the VM will get a virtual graphics card.

I cannot yet fix my ~/.xinitrc because I do not know what specifically the contents should be for my case.
Again, read the handbook.

I appreciate everyone who commented on my forum question. At first I thought the answer would involve simply only editing a few configuration files. But it involved much more than that. It was necessary for me to remove the VM entirely and recreate the VM with the FreeBSD a few times in expert mode until I got the FreeBSD install there perfect. Then I learned about # pkg install desktop-installer, which correctly installs the KDE5 into the VM. After several hours work my FreeBSD VM with KDE5 was in and works reliably. I still need to update the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from v6.1 to v7.0.2 but have had difficulty with that. I appreciate all who helped.

Attachments

• FreeBSD_VM_with_KDE5.png
    FreeBSD_VM_with_KDE5.png
    426.6 KB · Views: 76
With your weak hardware, I would never use KDE, especially not in a VM. Xfce is very easy to install, and is going to be so much more responsive in that VM. Openbox, PeKWM and Fluxbox is even better than Xfce.

I prefer using (bare metal) PeKWM over Xfce because it is faster and because it has some nice features in combination with Polybar that are not all found in full desktop environments. For example I can first 'draw' the exact location of a window on the desktop before it appears. And through PeKWM you can very easily configure custom Aero Snap areas that snap faster than in any other WM or desktop environment.

With your weak hardware, I would never use KDE, especially not in a VM. Xfce is very easy to install, and is going to be so much more responsive in that VM. Openbox, PeKWM and Fluxbox is even better than Xfce.

I prefer using (bare metal) PeKWM over Xfce because it is faster and because it has some nice features in combination with Polybar that are not all found in full desktop environments. For example I can first 'draw' the exact location of a window on the desktop before it appears. And through PeKWM you can very easily configure custom Aero Snap areas that snap faster than in any other WM or desktop environment.
Hey, hey, FreeBSD is supposed to be fun and liberating... with FreeBSD, even 32-bit hardware can do stuff that Windows Home users can only dream about, like compile stuff, run unusual utilities, and the like, even if it goes a bit slower than the latest and greatest hardware on the market. So maybe lay off unsolicited advice? The Forums are supposed to be a welcoming place, buddy.

Back