Did you guys sign this petition for native flash for FreeBSD?

UNIXgod said:
Hey man. I think it's great that you have such a drive for this. I have many friends who have kids that would love to have them grow up UNIX with Disney flash games native.

I think though the petition will go unnoticed by adobe. Much like these internet petitions have over the years.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Thank you very much :). I agree that the petition will go unnoticed by Adobe but that's why I'm working with a group to get the attention of Adobe in other ways. I truly think the only thing the petition will do is show Adobe there actually is people who want Flash ported over to FreeBSD and it won't be a complete waste.

lme@ said:
Can you point me to one single online petition that actually changed anything?

Actually I know of one off the top of my head. Take a look over at the Doom-ing community for instance, Doom is an old game from like 1993, however it's community managed to pull a petition together a few months ago to Raven software about one of their commercial games, which was based on the Doom engine, called Heretic. Previously the source code was under a license that was GPL incompatible(which was what the Doom Source Code was released under), however after a few months, tons of signatures, a highlight on the GNU webpage, and a community member named Quasar emailing the team almost non-stop, This goal was completed not long ago.

http://www.doomworld.com <- Go there if you want the story, though you may have to dig a bit as the news is older.

Online Petitions DO work, but you have to have a company that is responsive, and a lot of work from the general community.

Citsakots said:
** Update ** Posted a thread at another popular BSD forum: daemonforums.org.

http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=19056

Have fun posting this kind of thread in daemonforums. Im pretty sure deamonforums guys hate flash as much as I do. I just dont have much energy as those guys to be aggressive with flash. You probably wont get any nice responses there.

You are missing the poing of using FreeBSD. Seriously, if you need a multimedia machine so bad, why not Linux, or even Windows, Mac?

bsddaemon said:
Have fun posting this kind of thread in daemonforums. Im pretty sure deamonforums guys hate flash as much as I do. I just dont have much energy as those guys to be aggressive with flash. You probably wont get any nice responses there.

You are missing the poing of using FreeBSD. Seriously, if you need a multimedia machine so bad, why not Linux, or even Windows, Mac?

Missing the point? FreeBSD is an OS. It was built on servers in mind but it shouldn't be limited to that only. It has the tools to be a great desktop. It seems your missing the point :). Also for now I've gotten no rude responses. Seems your one of the main with a lot of attitude to share. :stud

Edit: I don't NEED a multimedia machine badly. Many people take think I'm doing this for the sake of watching YouTube in FreeBSD natively. That's not why. It's so that FreeBSD is actually acknowledged enough by Adobe just like it's counterpart Linux. Also why should I be restricted to Linux if I want a desktop even though to me FreeBSD is clearly a superior OS? I like how FreeBSD works things, their philosophy and even their very intelligent yet attitude filled community ;).

Citsakots said:
Also for now I've gotten no rude responses.

Probably now it is cliche for them. There was a big topic about flash not long ago. Find and read it if interested.

It's so that FreeBSD is actually acknowledged enough by Adobe just like it's counterpart Linux.

Thanks, but no thanks. FreeBSD is not multimedia OS, why Adobe bothers to offer it to us? Just like to respect a 5 year old kid as a male, do we need to sell condom to him?

Also why should I be restricted to Linux if I want a desktop even though to me FreeBSD is clearly a superior OS?

Superior as per stability, quality? You want stability and quality, but also demand that kind of fancy stuff? Sorry, they dont go along very well, my dear

I like how FreeBSD works things, their philosophy and even their very intelligent yet attitude filled community ;).

I must be laughing so hard. He even dare to mention Unix philosophy in a farking evil flash topic. I bet you havent read/understood a single word in Unix philosophy!

PS: dont know why, but Im just thinking, a Unix dude demands flash is just like a linux guy migrated from windows wanna get rid of CLI

Wow. Where to begin?

Thanks, but no thanks. FreeBSD is not multimedia OS, why Adobe bothers to offer it to us? Just like to respect a 5 year old kid as a male, do we need to sell condom to him?
That had to be one of the stupidest examples I've heard. FreeBSD is not a multimedia OS nor is it an OS which limits you to one subject. If YOU prefer FreeBSD as server only then good for you. You can do that :). I plan on doing that as well but if I'm able to make it as my desktop in another computer, then why not? "do we need to sell condom to him" That was a bit funny but more disturbing then anything else.

Superior as per stability, quality? You want stability and quality, but also demand that kind of fancy stuff? Sorry, they dont go along very well, my dear
It's funny how your saying I'm "demanding" fancy stuff. Please re-read all my posts and don't call me dear. Your not my grandmother:f.

I must be laughing so hard. He even dare to mention Unix philosophy in a farking evil flash topic. I bet you havent read/understood a single word in Unix philosophy!

PS: dont know why, but Im just thinking, a Unix dude demands flash is just like a linux guy migrated from windows wanna get rid of CLI
I'm talking about the FreeBSD philosophy. Also you keep saying I'm demanding something for some reason :p. Also I've read about the Unix philosophy as well and a very important one is this one: "allow the user to tailor the environment ". The beauty of BSD/Unix is that I'm able to choose what my system will end up as. You seem to contradict the Unix philosophy by saying "FreeBSD is ONLY for servers! FLASH IS THE DEVIL!". You're extremely funny in a saddening way.:stud

I seriously need to make a new topic changing the title or something so people don't go ahead and assume things. Just one thing for the people like the ones who say idiotic things like these: Read My Posts.

I thought FreeBSD's idealogy was always about the tools, rather than the methods. What I mean by this, is that the setup disk along with the ports and package systems are used to create the OS YOU want from the bare bones that require it to run. FreeBSD may be more server oriented programming-wise, however, I find it to be a great Desktop approach as well. Why Flash on FreeBSD? For the Desktop users. Flash WILL NOT hurt the server side, nor will it put any more strain on the developers, so why do you care? Bashing it accomplishes nothing, and anyway why shouldn't BSD have as much support as it can get? Flash will only increase how people are able to use BSD for desktop purposes, and in my opinion, attacking how "flash is taking over the web" in a BSD forum isn't going to do anything about that issue.

FreeBSD SHOULD have a native flash plugin, because what if I WANT to use it as a multimedia system? Why can't I? Why am I restricted to operating systems I'm not nearly as comfortable with?

Uhhh what? How does this even make sense? It's like saying "Oh, I prefer SH, so I don't think X.org or Window Managers should be ported to *BSD because Unix didn't have it back in the day!". They are both good for their own purposes, and of course people are always supporting one or the other. I see purpose in both. So, since most of the internet AND other operating systems are using Flash, why shouldn't BSD? Once again I refer to above, it makes as much sense as saying "Well Unix didn't have a Window manager back in the day, if you want one go to Linux, Mac, or Windows!"

I'm not sure if I even bother to comment on some of the earlier posts here. FreeBSD should be as clean as possible and ready for server use, but why not give everyone an option? People should be free to choose whatever they want, if that means installing X, a web browser, and even a flash player, then that is the choice of the user.

We are all different people and logically enough, we have different meanings about things. Respecting that shouldn't be too hard for most of us.

Even though things doesn't look too bright at the moment, I'm supporting Citsakots, and is part of the team. Instead of fighting I suggest that we all spend the time and power on more important things.

Take care, and have a nice weekend! :)

Hehe, you are right sverreh :)

When I go to bed on Thursday... it's suddenly Friday when I wake up, and after a few lazy hours at work.... guess what, there it is, the weekend ;)

Citsakots said:
The petition is not going to change NOTHING. That is just so that if people need some backing up of the idea that there is actually people from the FreeBSD that want flash then we could post the petition as proof. What we need to do is get people to write about it and talk about it. Show some demand.

Absolutely. Nobody opens if nobody knocks.
We are not about our personal preferences. We are for fully capable FreeBSD and we'd like to see it as a beautiful demoness and not as a gammy gammer with a bottle of "wine" in armpit just because of Adobe, ATI or alike.
It took me exactly 23 sec to sign the petition and many thanks to people who started it.

Link to Adobe's suggestion page

In case anyone is interested, here is the link to the Adobe Suggestion page:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/?name=wishform

I have been dealing with the issue of flash on FreeBSD for some time now and for me it isn't a matter of "Is flash good or bad?", it's that in order to use FreeBSD as a desktop you must have flash. The fact that there are native flash players/clients for most all other OS's is unfortunate.

Of course! Not sure why no one have mentioned that one before. Those of you who don't believe in the petition can go visit that URL instead, or actually, we all should :)

Thanks for bringing it up BigB3n.

Citsakots... any reason for the silence? (Last Activity: December 31st)

Thanks for that one danger@!

The sad part is that users will have to register to be able to vote, and that this will most likely scare away many users and important votes.

My vote is there, so I have at least done my part of the job so far :)

Hello everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been posting on updates and such but I'm on vacation to Argentina right now and getting an Internet connection is tricky ;). I'll be back home in a couple of days so I will start sharing some info which let's say was supposed to be secret ;).

marius said:
I have, but I still can't see any flash player 6 months later, nor any updated information regarding it. In other words, I see no reason to sit here and wait.

It's nice to see that people have started using http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1060

There is ongoing work to port a native Flash to FreeBSD. One developer signed an NDA with Adobe, so it is just a matter of time until we have a usable Flash.

lme@ said:
There is ongoing work to port a native Flash to FreeBSD. One developer signed an NDA with Adobe, so it is just a matter of time until we have a usable Flash.

Interesting. :) Good to know. Thanks.

lme@ said:
Yup. Not much of a secret anymore :p.

Matt Olander from IXSystems sent me this message
Hi Cits!

Yes, I agree that this would be wonderful and I have been working on it for over a year. We are finally at the point where we have signed an NDA to assist Adobe with the native Flash for FreeBSD port. Please keep this confidential as it is not public knowledge yet. As soon as I have more information that I can give out, I will post on the FreeBSD announce and advocacy lists ;-)

Unless something goes horribly wrong, we will be seeing a native Flash port for FreeBSD next year :-D

best,
-matt

His e-mail is matt@ixsystems.com if you want to contact him. I gathered a little team of beta testers for him in his request but he has stopped replying.

lme@:

Thanks for sharing the information. I already knew this, but thought it was confidential. Even though they have signed an NDA, I can't just sit here and hope it goes our way. We should keep showing Adobe that they have made the right choice.

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1060

Thanks again for sharing the information.

marius said:
lme@:

Thanks for sharing the information. I already knew this, but thought it was confidential. Even though they have signed an NDA, I can't just sit here and hope it goes our way. We should keep showing Adobe that they have made the right choice.

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1060

Thanks again for sharing the information.

It was ment to be confidential but because Matt hasn't replied I guess other people should ask him for some more info. Maybe he'll snap and give us some info ;).

Back