Did you guys sign this petition for native flash for FreeBSD?

Great initiative. We should do something to try speed things up. Dreaming or giving up won't get you anywhere.

I encourage everyone to sign this one.

ale said:
It's a waste of time
A waste of what? A minute or so? And who knows maybe the Adobe bone-heads will finally realize how much people actually support FreeBSD.

marius said:
Great initiative. We should do something to try speed things up. Dreaming or giving up won't get you anywhere.

I encourage everyone to sign this one.

I agree. I truly think the only way to actually get Adobe to listen up is by the media. I'm going to try to talk to various BSD supporters who own websites and/or blogs to post articles supporting the idea of native flash in FreeBSD. I would appreciate the help from the community. Who ever owns a website/blog or wants to help then PM me so we can actually do something about this dilemma instead of sitting around doing nothing but complaining.

Supporters For Native FreeBSD Flash
------------------------------------
*None for now. If you would like to be a supporter then post a link to your website with content showing your support.

*If anyone can make a little badge-like image saying "Native FreeBSD Flash Supporter" then that would be appreciated. I still don't have my system set up so I can't do that for now ;).

Citsakots said:
I recently did and even though realistically Adobe won't really care to even read it, it's good to show support for the FreeBSD community.

http://www.petitiononline.com/flash4me/petition.html

Supporters For Native FreeBSD Flash
------------------------------------
*None for now. If you would like to be a supporter then post a link to your website with content showing your support.

*If anyone can make a little badge-like image saying "Native FreeBSD Flash Supporter" then that would be appreciated. I still don't have my system set up so I can't do that for now ;).

xwwu said:
adobe is money oriental company. who pay? I think swfdec or gnash is ok.

No one should pay. I see it pretty simply. Linux hasn't paid and Adobe has released Flash for them, now why not for FreeBSD? Their not making any money by releasing Flash and Adobe Reader for Linux anyways.

Adobe is obviously as interested in making a Flash Plugin for FreeBSD as Microsoft is interested in porting MS-Office to FreeBSD.

Citsakots said:
No one should pay. I see it pretty simply. Linux hasn't paid and Adobe has released Flash for them, now why not for FreeBSD?

There is a much larger userbase for desktop linux than there is for desktop freebsd.

That's why.

Adam

adamk said:
There is a much larger userbase for desktop linux than there is for desktop freebsd.

That's why.

Adam

I'm sorry to say but you could say the exact same thing about Linux compared to OS X and Windows but clearly that statement doesn't fly.

nakal said:
Adobe is obviously as interested in making a Flash Plugin for FreeBSD as Microsoft is interested in porting MS-Office to FreeBSD.

Haha. Wow, biggest exaggeration I've heard in a while. Flash isn't much compared to MS-Office. The main reason why Adobe isn't interested is because they don't see that the FreeBSD community actually cares enough to make a deal out of it. Maybe if we spark some media interest it could take off. Also it shouldn't be only the FreeBSD community supporting native FreeBSD flash but the open source community as well. As I see it, we should try to spark interest by getting some attention.

Citsakots said:
I'm sorry to say but you could say the exact same thing about Linux compared to OS X and Windows but clearly that statement doesn't fly.

You're right about linux vs os x and windows. But that doesn't change the validity of my statement.

If you don't want to look like your limiting your product to Apple and Microsoft, and you want to choose another operating system to support, linux makes much more sense than FreeBSD.

Adam

I must say that I agree on most things said here, although I can't say that I like what I see. Of course the logical choice is to give Linux and not FreeBSD a flashplayer. Just think about (actually, you don't even need to think) the huge number of desktop users on Linux compared to FreeBSD. Linux has had their flash support for years now, it's time to show Adobe that FreeBSD is also an operating system that wants the same support.

Maybe it's a waste of time, but how much time don't you waste every day in front of TV or whatever you spend your precious time on? For gods sake, do it at work, you'll even get paid at the same time! Problem solved.

I can see the problems, and maybe I'm just dreaming, but it's better to dream than to give up before it has even started. If you guys keep up with the same attitude you're showing off on this board, you won't get anywhere in life!

The next weeks I'll be talking with everyone I know, I'll do my job and will try to get as many to sign as possible. The Norwegian BSD scene will be informed. I'll even get my grandma to sign if I have to ;)

Again, I encourage everyone to do the same thing.

Citsakots said:

I like the idea.

Just one more thing before I end this post, and to make things crystal clear. I do NOT like Flash, I have never liked it and will never ever like it. Why do I want this flash support then? Because more and more websites use flash in such a stupid way that you are required to have it installed to be able to use the website.

*** Can someone make a post about this website on the DesktopBSD and PC-BSD forums? (if they have one). Also, I heard something about a person being in contact with Adobe about porting this flashplayer to FreeBSD. Not sure if it was someone from the FreeBSD team or not, but any news would be appreciated. ***

I would prefer people would just stop making bad flash websites.
Stop Adobe Flash Petition

Unfortunately flash is becoming something of a ``necessity'', corporate and even government websites use it increasingly.

I fear flash is like cockroaches, rats, or HTML email, a pest almost impossible to eradicate.

marius said:
I must say that I agree on most things said here, although I can't say that I like what I see. Of course the logical choice is to give Linux and not FreeBSD a flashplayer. Just think about (actually, you don't even need to think) the huge number of desktop users on Linux compared to FreeBSD. Linux has had their flash support for years now, it's time to show Adobe that FreeBSD is also an operating system that wants the same support.

Maybe it's a waste of time, but how much time don't you waste every day in front of TV or whatever you spend your precious time on? For gods sake, do it at work, you'll even get paid at the same time! Problem solved.

I can see the problems, and maybe I'm just dreaming, but it's better to dream than to give up before it has even started. If you guys keep up with the same attitude you're showing off on this board, you won't get anywhere in life!

The next weeks I'll be talking with everyone I know, I'll do my job and will try to get as many to sign as possible. The Norwegian BSD scene will be informed. I'll even get my grandma to sign if I have to ;)

Again, I encourage everyone to do the same thing.

I like the idea.

Just one more thing before I end this post, and to make things crystal clear. I do NOT like Flash, I have never liked it and will never ever like it. Why do I want this flash support then? Because more and more websites use flash in such a stupid way that you are required to have it installed to be able to use the website.

*** Can someone make a post about this website on the DesktopBSD and PC-BSD forums? (if they have one). Also, I heard something about a person being in contact with Adobe about porting this flashplayer to FreeBSD. Not sure if it was someone from the FreeBSD team or not, but any news would be appreciated. ***

Great post. I will post a thread at PC-BSD, DesktopBSD and the Daemon Forums. I also dislike Flash but I think that FreeBSD deserves the same attention especially when now PC-BSD and DesktopBSD is aimed at desktop users.

Edit: I'm running dual-boot with a Linux distribution but I personally love the FreeBSD philosophy. It's much more professional in my opinion, BSD license is more versatile and overall I like how stable it is.

Carpetsmoker said:
I fear flash is like cockroaches, rats, or HTML email, a pest almost impossible to eradicate.

I would like to have the opportunity to block it wherever it annoys me.

Citsakots, maybe you don't know it, but those petitions for flash* on FreeBSD has been done over and over.

*native

ale said:
Citsakots, maybe you don't know it, but those petitions for flash* on FreeBSD has been done over and over.

*native
I know they've been done many times and the petition wont do nothing by itself but it's a nice list to show Adobe that there really are a nice amount of FreeBSD users who want a native Flash player.

** Message ** I understand that MANY people don't care about flash because they don't like it, or maybe don't use it too much but this whole thing isn't about that. It's about FreeBSD getting the attention it deserves. I truly think FreeBSD has been around for long enough, especially with it's reputation for being a stable and amazing OS for it not to be supported with something that is very basic for a common desktop OS. I don't use flash too much either except for YouTube but that's not the reason why I'm doing this.

Can you point me to one single online petition that actually changed anything?

lme@ said:
Can you point me to one single online petition that actually changed anything?

The petition is not going to change NOTHING. That is just so that if people need some backing up of the idea that there is actually people from the FreeBSD that want flash then we could post the petition as proof. What we need to do is get people to write about it and talk about it. Show some demand.

Maybe a petition won't change anything, but according to the PC-BSD team, they had about 150 000 downloads of the latest version of PC-BSD. What does that show? It should mean that there are many users out there, although they might not understand that the flash player currently running on PC-BSD is emulated, or running with wine.

I have heard of people choosing Linux over FreeBSD just because of the flash support. It can be that simple for some people to ignore an entire operating system. Maybe we don't need those people, but come on, it doesn't make things any easier if people are running away from us.

To make it simple: If you care, spread the word about http://www.petitiononline.com/flash4me/petition.html

Contact Citsakots if anyone are really interested in helping or have any ideas on what should be done to make Adobe listen.

** Major Edit ** I currently have two more people working with me now. They feel that FreeBSD should have it's own native Flash and were still looking for more people to help. Contact me at citsakots@gmail.com if you want to help.

Citsakots said:
** Major Edit ** I currently have two more people working with me now. They feel that FreeBSD should have it's own native Flash and were still looking for more people to help. Contact me at citsakots@gmail.com if you want to help.

Hey man. I think it's great that you have such a drive for this. I have many friends who have kids that would love to have them grow up UNIX with Disney flash games native.

I think though the petition will go unnoticed by adobe. Much like these internet petitions have over the years.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Back