dhclient.conf and lease-time

Greetings.
I recieve too high lease-time from ISP's DHCP (15 days). Is there a way to force dhclient to ask DHCP server more frequently without setting up crontab?

/var/db/dhclient.leases.nfe0:
Code:
lease {
  interface "nfe0";
  option dhcp-lease-time 1296000;
  option dhcp-renewal-time 1296000;
  option dhcp-rebinding-time 1296000;
  renew 3 2011/1/5 22:58:51;
  rebind 3 2011/1/5 22:58:51;
  expire 3 2011/1/5 22:58:51;
}

I tried to change it via /etc/dhclient.conf using either supersede dhcp-lease-time 7260; or send dhcp-lease-time 7260;, but lease-time remains the same.

Have you tried to use these options for interface "nfe0"?
Have you tried to remove leases for nfe0?

PS: Why do you need it?

eirnym said:
Have you tried to use these options for interface "nfe0"?
Have you tried to remove leases for nfe0?
Yes and yes (by the way, option append domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8; is working as intended on this interface).

eirnym said:
PS: Why do you need it?
Because when 24 hours have passed since a lease accepted, my port gets locked untill I restart dhclient manually. Time based ACL or something, I'm not so familiar with DHCP. And don't tell me to contact ISP :]

If your ISP blocks your port after using the IP addresses that they assigned you for 15 days after only 1 day, I think you have bigger issues than DHCP to worry about.

However, you might be able to get a workaround with some supersede statements in dhclient.conf.

Edit: Ah, missed your last line. Try a renew/rebind/expire date? Not sure if these can be set on a recurring schedule though...

Back