devd based AUTOMOUNTER

Could there be a problem with encoding in this posting? In the reply, I see it is automount. In the original, there is a string of boxes.
And also from me a thank-you for automount.

@ Crivens

Welcome.
I used UTF8 chars for Twitter as Twitter does not support any formatting like bold/italic and as I pasted that message here there may be some problems with encoding, sorry for that.

No problem. Just mentioning it so a reason can be found. Twitter sounds a good source of this confusion.

New ๐šŠ๐šž๐š๐š˜๐š–๐š˜๐šž๐š—๐š version 1.5.9 now supports XFS/HFS/MTP (Android phones for example) filesystems and have various other fixes. Its not in the FreeBSD Ports yet. It also requires x11/zenity for MTP.

Here is the CHANGELOG:
  • Decrease DELAY for sleep from '1' to '0.1' for faster mounting.
  • Remove __random_wait() at 'attach'.
  • Implement MTP mounting.
  • Added XFS and HFS support.
  • Various fixes and cleanups.
Grab it directly from usual place: https://github.com/vermaden/automount

Also new ๐—จ๐—ฃ๐——๐—”๐—ง๐—˜ ๐Ÿฎ - ๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐šœ๐šข๐šœ๐šž๐š๐š’๐š•๐šœ/๐šŠ๐šž๐š๐š˜๐š–๐š˜๐šž๐š—๐š ๐Ÿญ.๐Ÿฑ.๐Ÿต ๐—จ๐—ฝ๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ addon to the ๐—™๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—•๐—ฆ๐—— ๐——๐—ฒ๐˜€๐—ธ๐˜๐—ผ๐—ฝ - ๐—ฃ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐˜ ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿณ - ๐—”๐˜‚๐˜๐—ผ๐—บ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐˜ ๐—ฅ๐—ฒ๐—บ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฎ๐—ฏ๐—น๐—ฒ ๐— ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ article is available.

https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/10/11/freebsd-desktop-part-17-automount-removable-media/

Regards.

after upgrade from 11.2 to 12.0-RELEASE automount don't work.
cause - mount_msdosfs don't understand options 'large', although in man this options is present.

sorry, i don't view last version in git - everything should work there. but i use version from port tree.

after upgrade from 11.2 to 12.0-RELEASE automount don't work.
cause - mount_msdosfs don't understand options 'large', although in man this options is present.

sorry, i don't view last version in git - everything should work there. but i use version from port tree.

Bryan did not yet updated the sysutils/automount port.

This is the fix for version installed from FreeBSD Ports/packages:
Code:
# fetch -o /usr/local/sbin/automount https://raw.githubusercontent.com/vermaden/automount/master/automount

Yes, the automount facility that's part of the OS now still offers no way to allow for regular user write/unmount of the automounted media. Which kind of reduces its usability, doesn't it? For more often than not people use removable USB drives in order to write something there.

Thank you, vermaden, very much for YOUR hard work on this very useful script :).

Just today a friend visited me and asked to write a couple of files on a USB flash drive. He's not very friendly with computer stuff in general, but among the things he does know is that you insert a USB drive and then you use it, period. So I couldn't explain it to him nor to myself why it is that the most advanced OS (which I sincerely believe FreeBSD to be) can't offer an official way to do the same thing. So I will leave the automount(8) to developers to fiddle with until it comes to maturity and in the meantime will use this very helpful script of yours.

Yes, the automount facility that's part of the OS now still offers no way to allow for regular user write/unmount of the automounted media. Which kind of reduces its usability, doesn't it? For more often than not people use removable USB drives in order to write something there.

Thank you, vermaden, very much for YOUR hard work on this very useful script :).

Just today a friend visited me and asked to write a couple of files on a USB flash drive. He's not very friendly with computer stuff in general, but among the things he does know is that you insert a USB drive and then you use it, period. So I couldn't explain it to him nor to myself why it is that the most advanced OS (which I sincerely believe FreeBSD to be) can't offer an official way to do the same thing. So I will leave the automount(8) to developers to fiddle with until it comes to maturity and in the meantime will use this very helpful script of yours.

Welcome, happy automounting (and autounmounting) I wish You :)

UPDATE 5 โ€“ Minor sysutils/automount 1.7.1 Update

The major rewrite of sysutils/automount 1.7.0 bring some limitations and problems. This is where 1.7.1 comes with small needed updates.

The changelog is quite small this time:

• Fixed the mounts with USER option from config file.
  • Made MTP filesystem detection and mount better.
  • Add another check if filesystem is not already mounted.

I have already made a PR so it should be soon available in the FreeBSD Ports.
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=242405

โ€ฆ but if you want to get it faster, then download and unpack the automount-1.7.1.tar.gz file.

Then copy its files to appropriate places as shown below.

# cp automount.conf /usr/local/etc/automount.conf
# cp automount_devd.conf /usr/local/etc/devd/automount_devd.conf
# cp automount /usr/local/sbin/automount
# chmod +x /usr/local/sbin/automount
# /etc/rc.d/devd restart

Regards.

Back