devd based AUTOMOUNTER

Unfortunately there is no devd event that can be 'caught' to automount CD, ask FreeBSD developers to add a devd event about inserting and removing CD from the drive ;)

Hello there,

I try to show my problem as short as possible (with as little detours as possible):

Starting with the thought to enable autmounting on the laptop/netbook of my wife I figured out there were several ways to do it, most of them working with HAL and appropriete FAQs or manual-entries or whatever. After figuring out that HAL probably won't work and also isn't required and I also read in one post it's deprecated, I couldn't then help but feel lost.

Your thread appeared multiple times and I always avoided this solution because it requested a somehow, more user-intervention-heavy method (after my try I realized it wasn't).

My point:

After setting up everything as expected, it's possible to mount one USB thumbdrive (I only have this one to try actually) and it shows up under /media/da0s1 as expected (though the problem exists, that it switches to the appropriate user even though I'm logged in) if I manually umount it, the directory doesn't vanish (as I expected from setting the REMOVEDIR flag) and mounting the device another time fails with no reason (as I think). I am aware that there is not enough evidence to catch the murderer but I actually don't know which logs you need.

The automount.conf looks like this:
Code:
USERMOUNT="YES"
ATIME="NO"
REMOVEDIRS="YES"

I removed the user and fm-flags, removing the problem of user-switching with them.

The reason should be me, I'm missing a piece of documentation or whatever.

mfg frig

frig said:
Hello there,
Hi.

frig said:
(though the problem exists, that it switches to the appropriate user even though I'm logged in)
Can you explain more?

frig said:
if I manually umount it, the directory doesn't vanish (as I expected from setting the REMOVEDIR flag)

It was a problem with some older version, it was fixed in 1.3.1, I uploaded 1.4 today with improvements towards smartphones which attach th device, but the device is ready to use quite a little later. Check it out at the usual GITHUB place: https://github.com/vermaden/automount/blob/1.4/automount

frig said:
and mounting the device another time fails with no reason (as I think).
Mounting from where? Nautilus? Command line? mount(8)?

frig said:
I am aware that there is not enough evidence to catch the murderer but I actually don't know which logs you need.
Try 1.4 and if you still have issues, I will tell you what I need ;)

#1 - changing user
The problem with the user-switching occurs only if the USER and FM variables are set in automount.conf.
The automount.conf looked like this:
Code:
USER="anja"
FM="thunar"
USERMOUNT="YES"
ATIME="NO"
REMOVEDIRS="YES"
Everytime I inserted the USB thumbdrive the user switched to the one stated in the automount.conf, it also did this if the user was already logged in, restarting the x-session.
-> Problem didn't occur again after removing the appropriate flags from the automount.conf

#2 - REMOVEDIR
Problem occurred with version 1.3.1. I will test 1.4 once we return home.

#3 - Mounting from:
Mounting from Thunar via clicking and command line using [CMD=]mount -v -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/flash[/CMD] The 'device busy' error (even though the device was not in use) occurred one or two times between my tries.

As I said above, I will try 1.4 once we're home again =D . But I wanted to clarify my sluggish questions.

Thanks in advance, frig.

frig said:

(...)

Everytime I inserted the usb-thumbdrive the user switched to the one stated in the automount.conf, it also did this if the user was already logged in, restarting the x-session.

That is the purpose of that setting, to mount and change the rights to USER and to use specified FM.

What did you think it worked/should work like?

frig said:
#2 - REMOVEDIR
Problem occurred with version 1.3.1. I will test 1.4 once we return home.

I do not remember changing anything in the remove part, so probably it will be the same at 1.4.

frig said:
#3 - Mounting from:
Mounting from Thunar via clicking and command line using [CMD=mount]-v -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /media/flash[/CMD]. The device busy error (even though the device was not in use) occurred one or two-times between my tries.
Device busy means it's already mounted (probably by automount) or the device is not yet ready to mount after insertion.

frig said:
As I said above, i will try 1.4 once we're home again =D . But I wanted to clarify my sluggish questions.
Ok, let me know how 1.4 works for you ;)

frig said:
thanks in advance frig
Welcome.

#1 - USER and FM
I actually thought about these flags, that they do nothing other than mount the device in the MNTPREFIX with the appropriate permissions, about the FM I was wrong, I actually thought nothing about this flag. The problem itself still persists, it "changes" to the mentioned user even though the user is logged in, restarting the x-session (though killing all beforehand opened applications) and leaving me with a new empty desktop.

#2 - busy device
Probably happened because of my hastened tries.

Actually automount works quite well, I have tested three different USB drives by now, they were all recognized and mounted correctly and even removing the directories worked. (still using version 1.3.1).

Sole problem remaining is with the permissions, the device mounts in /media/flash/* where users have rwx permissions, though the newly created directory has only root permissions (even though USER is set correctly), usermount is possible throughout the system.

Thanks in advance, frig.

frig said:
#1 (...) The problem itself still persists, it "changes" to the mentioned user even though the user is logged in, restarting the x-session (though killing all beforehand opened applications) and leaving me with a new empty desktop.
Interesting, nothing like that happens here, you say that after inserting the pendrive it restarts your X11 session?

The code responsible for that looks like that:
Code:
su - ${USER} -c "env DISPLAY=:0 ${FM} ${MNT} &"

... and with these as example:
Code:
USER=ver
FM=nautilus
MNT=/media/da0s1

It just does execute this:
Code:
su - ver -c "env DISPLAY=:0 nautilus /media/da0s1 &"

It does not matter which user is logged in, the automount uses the specified in config user.

#2 - busy device
Probably happened because of my hastened tries.
I know a problem that nautilus sometimes tries to automount again the already mounted filesystem in /media/ANYTHING, I havent found a way to prevent nautilus from that.

Sole problem remaining is with the permissions, the device mounts in /media/flash/* where users have rwx permissions, though the newly created directory has only root permissions (even though USER is set correctly), usermount is possible throughout the system.

If you do not set USER, then the mount will be made with root permissions, if you set USER, then it will chmod it to USER:USERGROUP at mount, is it not working like that for you?

Thank you vermaden, it works great! Mounts the USB drive and CD-ROM with out problems. I have a problem with HAL, it can not mount my DVD-ROM automatically. Your solution saved me!

But I have a question: how then unmount the device? I have to unmount from the command line, is that right?

serjsk8 said:
Thank you vermaden!
It works great!
Welcome ;)

serjsk8 said:
Mount the usb-drive and cd-rom with out problems!
Interesting, automount automounts CD-ROM? Are you sure? I am asking because automount does not support CD9660 CD-ROM filesystem and does not detect it because there are no devd(8) events to detect the CD insertion/removal.

serjsk8 said:
I have a problem with HAL, it can not mount my dvd-rom automatically.
My automount does not have anything to do with HAL, it uses FreeBSD's devd(8) instead.

serjsk8 said:
How then unmount the device?
I have to unmount from the command line, is that right?
You can unmount from nautilus or from konqueror file managers, as well as from the command line with umount command, if you just remove the USB drive without unmounting, then it will be unmounted automatically for you by automount.

Hello,
My automount does not have anything to do with HAL, it uses FreeBSD's devd(8) instead.
Yes, I know. I just wanted to say that my HAL does not mount a CD-ROM when I'm working in KDE4.

Interesting, automount automounts CD-ROM? Are you sure? I am asking because automount does not support CD9660 CD-ROM filesystem and does not detect it.

Mmmm... But I can see my DVD-ROM when I insert a disk. I inserted the installation disk with FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE, and the drive is mounted automatically.

Code:
#uname -a
FreeBSD bsd 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:15:25 UTC 2012     
root@obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Code:
# cat /etc/rc.conf
powerd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
devd_enable="YES"
automounter_enable=YES

Code:
# pkg_version -v | grep automoun
automounter-1.4.4                   =   up-to-date with port

Code:
# automounter list
label: <iso9660/FreeBSD_Install> from <cd0>

Code:
# ls -l /media
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 May 29 14:48 dev
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 May 29 14:48 iso9660
bsd# ls -l /media/dev/
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  61 May 29 14:48 cd0 -> /var/run/automounter.amd.mnt/bff50c4e90e79a0df3be09ea2c5ad62e
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  61 May 29 14:48 cd0.iso9660 -> /var/run/automounter.amd.mnt/bff50c4e90e79a0df3be09ea2c5ad62e
bsd# ls -l /media/dev/cd0
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  61 May 29 14:48 /media/dev/cd0 -> /var/run/automounter.amd.mnt/bff50c4e90e79a0df3be09ea2c5ad62e
bsd# ls -l /media/dev/cd0.iso9660/
total 539
-r--r--r--   6 root  wheel     793 May  1  2009 .cshrc
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    1563 May  1  2009 .profile
dr-xr-xr-x  13 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 7.2-RELEASE
-r--r--r--   3 root  wheel    6197 May  1  2009 COPYRIGHT
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    4877 May  1  2009 ERRATA.HTM
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    3514 May  1  2009 ERRATA.TXT
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  186567 May  1  2009 HARDWARE.HTM
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  114717 May  1  2009 HARDWARE.TXT
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   19736 May  1  2009 README.HTM
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   14311 May  1  2009 README.TXT
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   60037 May  1  2009 RELNOTES.HTM
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel   31407 May  1  2009 RELNOTES.TXT
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    6144 May  1  2009 bin
dr-xr-xr-x   7 root  wheel    4096 May  1  2009 boot
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 boot.catalog
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel      39 May  1  2009 cdrom.inf
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 dev
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel    3704 May  1  2009 docbook.css
dr-xr-xr-x  20 root  wheel   12288 May  1  2009 etc
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 floppies
dr-xr-xr-x   3 root  wheel    8192 May  1  2009 lib
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 libexec
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 media
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 mnt
dr-xr-xr-x  61 root  wheel    8192 May  1  2009 packages
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 proc
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   16384 May  1  2009 rescue
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 root
dr-xr-xr-x  60 root  wheel    8192 May  1  2009 rr_moved
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   16384 May  1  2009 sbin
lr-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel       7 May  1  2009 stand -> /rescue
lr-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel      11 May  1  2009 sys -> usr/src/sys
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 tmp
dr-xr-xr-x  13 root  wheel    2048 May  1  2009 usr
dr-xr-xr-x  21 root  wheel    4096 May  1  2009 var

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and the automounter does not "participate in the game"?

Ok, I need to report something.

After installing this automounter I did not use it for some time. These days I plugged in a USB drive and tried to mount it, only to find I was not allowed. While doing this as root, I found that a bit strange and suspected the last update to have gone a bit sideways. There is the device node, there is the mount point, but I was not able to mount it.

Checked for logged errors, none.
Checked for file system mismatches, none found.
Then it dawned on me that I was not allowed to mount something that was already mounted.

This then was confirmed by carefully reading the output of 'mount'.

HOW DARE YOU release something that simply works without bells, whistles, trumpets and brass band? ;)

Simply putting software onto the unsuspecting user which works over complete updates, does not complain, does not advertise it's existence, which simply does one thing and does it well.

I have to confess that it took me some minutes to find your automounter again because I totally forgot about it.

In short: Well Done!

vermaden, Thank You for well working automounter
I have a little feature request:
Can you add possibility to mount co-existed partitions on the disk. For example, I have Windows + FreeBSD on disk, and when I boot in FreeBSD it is not mounts Windows partition, only new-inserted disks.
Thank you!

@ORTO-DOX

Thanks ;)

There is automounter and automount in the Ports.

I have written/maintain automount which has nothing to do with automounter.

I made automount to mount every partition/device that appears in the /dev after device attach.

Is it possible that You use automounter and not 'my' automount? :)

:))) Sorry for mistake :)
I have automount ofcourse.
And as You say it mounts every partition/device that appears in the /dev after device attach., but it not mount partition which exists permanently in system.
As I think, automount triggers on devd events, and as permanently exists in system partitions it does not react to :(

ORTO-DOX said:
but it not mount partition which exists permanently in system.
Just put that into the /etc/fstab and set the mountpoint to the /media/something, so You will have that filesystem available in the nautilus/konqueror/pcmanfm panel.

ORTO-DOX said:
As I think, automount triggers on devd events, and as permanently exists in system partitions it does not react to :(
Yup.

vermaden said:
@Crivens

Thanks ;)

There were no BUG requests, so I did not upload new versions.

Damn! No brass band plugin which posts the contents of my USB drives to my FailBook wall. ;)
That is a feature reserved for you-know-who :e

Back