Solved Detect network presence

I have a GoFlex Home unit which I seem to be unable to connect to. It does boot up and the LED is steady green which is supposed to mean that
'GoFlex Home is connected to the network and ready for use.'

It doesn't show up under pfSense as having been assigned an IP address. How do I find out if it shows any presence on the LAN?

If you know its MAC address, you can run a simple script (replace the IP range and the MAC address with yours) – assuming it did get an IP address:
Code:
nmap -sL 192.168.0.0/24 >/dev/null 2>&1
arp -a | sed -n '-e s/[^0-9]*\([0-9\.]\{7,15\}\)[^0-9]*00:a0:98:78:32:19.*/\1/p'

Following your post, I discovered arp-scan().

Fortunately the MAC addresses of my units were printed on the bases, all of which had been removed, so I had to try and match them up.

I discovered that the unit which appears to boot up but doesn't acquire an IP didn't show up when I ran arp-scan -
arp-scan --interface=em0 --localnet | grep 00:10:75:2e:ae:0f
However, if I ran it several times whilst booting up it did reveal an IP address which then disappeared.

I seem to recall that I may have set it up with netcat() a while ago, but can't remember how to use it.

Eventually I found a post of mine on another forum which had the settings I needed, the crucial one being serverip. Once I set up my laptop with the correct IP address I ran:-
Code:
nc -up 6666 192.168.1.22 6666

and then I could see the boot messages as though I was connected via a serial cable.

Back