Solved Desktop-installer dont work

Hello! I have installed the Desktop-installer on freebsd 11.4, 64 bits. No options of install any desktop. Only upgrade a pkg from quarterly at la test pkg database.

Hello! I have installed the Desktop-installer on freebsd 11.4, 64 bits. No options of install any desktop. Only upgrade a pkg from quarterly at la test pkg database.
  • Which dektop-installer do you mean? There is none, AFAIK. Do you mean FuryBSD? But that's 12.1...
  • FreeBSD is harsh to newbies, but nice to the wizzards & gurus. You have to know this in advance and accept it.
  • Get a list of available desktops:
    foreach pkg ( kde5 xfce mate gnome lxqt lxde )
    foreach? pkg search $pkg |grep -i meta
    foreach? end
  • Install your favorite desktop, and I suggest a graphical login manager, too:
    pkg install kde5 sddm
  • Install the FreeBSD docs, and read the handbook (/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd) with any browser:
    pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc Replace de with your native tongue, e.g. es for spanish.

Thank You very match for You ansver. I mean no furybsd, I have a FreeBSD 11.4, and I have been installed a desktop - installer package. Now I go to manual install. The Last time I haved a x crashes with 12.1

Thank You very match for You ansver. I mean no furybsd, I have a FreeBSD 11.4, and I have been installed a desktop - installer package. Now I go to manual install. The Last time I haved a x crashes with 12.1
#pkg inst Desktop-installer

• Which dektop-installer do you mean? There is none, AFAIK. Do you mean FuryBSD? But that's 12.1...
  • FreeBSD is harsh to newbies, but nice to the wizzards & gurus. You have to know this in advance and accept it.
  • Get a list of available desktops:
    foreach pkg ( kde5 xfce mate gnome lxqt lxde )
    foreach? pkg search $pkg |grep -i meta
    foreach? end
  • Install your favorite desktop, and I suggest a graphical login manager, too:
    pkg install kde5 sddm
  • Install the FreeBSD docs, and read the handbook (/usr/local/share/doc/freebsd) with any browser:
    pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc Replace de with your native tongue, e.g. es for spanish.
Thank You very match! I Will do this.

• A desktop meta package should automatically pull in Xorg, so you do not have to install that explicitely. This is semi-important because if you install Xorg explicitely, it is a leaf package.
  • IFAIC development of the Lumina desktop has stopped since iX Systems dropped TrueOS to focus their work on their appliances.

Try google search for "desktop-installer github freebsd". It should return bunch of different attempts chasing same goal.

• A desktop meta package should automatically pull in Xorg, so you do not have to install that explicitely. This is semi-important because if you install Xorg explicitely, it is a leaf package.
  • IFAIC development of the Lumina desktop has stopped since iX Systems dropped TrueOS to focus their work on their appliances.
Thank You, I do this the next time. I have installed a xorg, then I have installed a lumina desktop too. Thank You very match for You indicativos. The next time I vill install only a lumina.

I haven't looked very hard but nothing seems to actually require 12.1.

I ran TrueOS for two years (which runs lumina-desktop). I ran lumina-desktop (the pkg) on FreeBSD for another year before going bare-bones with jwm. lumina-desktop will get the job done for you.
Thanks. The Lumina desktop go fine. I have used a Project Trident, then changed a FreeBSD with Xfce4, and now a FreeBSD 11.4 with Lumina.

What problem did you have with sysutils/desktop-installer? Did you run the script after doing the pkg install?

FYI, you can see that it's actively maintained by following the link in pkg-descr. The home page has a link to the github repo. Or you can follow the "ports" link at https://www.freebsd.org/ to browse or search the ports tree.

The desktop-installer script does a lot more for you than just install a DE. It configures devices and services and guides you through several potential issues with FreeBSD desktops.

And Lumina is still being developed as part of Project Trident. There are numerous recent commits on the Github site.

Yes, is a lot more than a DE. The sysutils /desktop-installer installed for me a ports tree (I no have installed it), then changed the pkg base from quarterly to la test. But finally not appears a choos any desktop options. I have installed a Lumina desktop and the Mate-desktop manually, and now I configuring a userland. This time go fine. Thanks a lot.

Desktop installer does help with your choice desktop environment, I noticed. There are several guides on how to configure the userland online. Here are a few:

Desktop installer does help with your choice desktop environment, I noticed. There are several guides on how to configure the userland online. Here are a few:
Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot.

Back