Dell Studio 15 (1555) Wont boot (bootloader problem) in Freebsd 7.2 or 8.0

I just got a Dell Studio 15 (the 1555 model) and I was hoping to install FreeBSD on it, but both FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE or FreeBSD-8.0-CURRENT won't boot. I'm trying to install the 64 bit edition because I have 4 GB of RAM. I tried messing with some BIOS settings and it still won't work. If I change the SATA type to IDE, it just reboots when I try to boot the CD. If I set it to AHCI (default) then it shows this:

Code:
CD Loader

Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER... Found
Relocating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX loader

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
panic: free: guard1 fail @ 0xbd197074 from /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/loader/../../common/console.c:94
--> Press a key on the console to reboot <--

I have no idea why this happens. Is it trying to load a 32 bit file? The panic message says "i386". This happens with the net install, cd install, and dvd install images. Here are my computer specs:

Code:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz
WLAN: Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card (Broadcom 4312 Rev 01 14e4:4315)
LAN: Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet(14e4:1698)
VIDEO: Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DVD: Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S ATA Device
AUDIO: Intel Integrated Audio
HDD: Seagate ST9320320AS ATA Device

I hope somebody can help me with this problem. I'll have to use linux and Windows 7 until this works.

the 64bit version will not work with a core 2 duo (lt. hardware notes) i suggest to try the i386 version and compile the PAE in the GENRIC-KERNEL... thats what i did on a 2x2 core amd-opteron (for compatibility reasons) and it works well.

yours ICE-B

Thanks, I'll try that. Could you give me some information about why the 64bit version doesn't with the Core 2 Duo?

Erm, the 64 bit version does work on a Core 2 Duo. In fact, it should work on older CPUs like Pentium 4s too.

Chenxiaolong, you didn't specify which ISO you loaded. You need the AMD64 ISO.

I tried changing my drive to ATA mode, but when I try to boot, it just automatically reboots, so fast that I can't read the error message. I can try using a USB. I have a 8GB one. How would I go about doing that? Can I use Unetbootin like with linux?

Thanks for the quick responses. This forum is great.

Unetbootin might work, but FreeBSD also publish USB flash images now on their FTP mirrors (since 8.0 I think). Probably easier to grab one of those and dd it to your drive.

The bios is already the latest version. Look at the attachments. Is there anything else that I can do?

Attachments

• bios1.jpg
    bios1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 395
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 311
Back