Other DELL R740xd and PERC H730 - cannot import foreign config drives when using UEFI boot

I am new to UEFI boot systems, but I can't find an answer to this question. We have always used BIOS boot up until the newest DELL 14G systems.

FreeBSD 10.3 on a DELL R740xd system - the boot drive was configured as UEFI boot and system changed from BIOS to UEFI boot. But when I install a preconfigured RAID0 (one drive - essentially a stand alone DATA drive) into the sytem, FreeBSD does not even see the drive with "ls /dev | more". I do NOT get the NORMAL CTRL-R OPTION during boot to configure RAID or import the data drive.

If I change boot back to BIOS, I get the CTRL-R option and can import or configure the RAID0 drive. Then on reboot, I change back to UEFI, and the system boots and the drive is mounted and available.

This is not a big deal for one system, but we have hundreds of systems installed in the field, and I cannot ship a replacement Data drive and have the customer go through this process.

This seems like it is purely an issue with the Dell RAID card and their BIOS, and independent of FreeBSD, or the operating system that is installed: If you can't get to Control-R at the BIOS prompt, how can the OS help? It isn't running yet.

Not sure if it helps but some PERC controllers are just rebranded LSI controllers. If this model is one of those you could try sysutils/megacli to import the foreign config from the command line.

You are absolutely correct. This is a DELL / PERC / UEFI issue and I am in conversation with DELL regarding this. I have had really good responses with past problems with the FreeBSD Forums, since DELL "does not support FreeBSD". That's why I tried here too.

Thanks for the 'megaraid' suggestion. We had used that previously, but had some compatibility issues with megaraid under FreeBSD 10.x. But I'll try that too. And thanks for the link to the PERC9 Users Guide. Hope there is help in there.

Back