Debian pushes development of kFreeBSD port

Quoting from the Debian GNU/Linux page:
The Debian Release Team is pleased to announce that it sees the port of the Debian system to the FreeBSD kernel fit to be handeld equal with the other release ports. The upcoming release codenamed 'Squeeze' is planned to be the first Debian distribution to be released with Linux and FreeBSD kernels.
http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20091007

Wow so Linux user will get Jails and other cool FreeBSD features. What do you think?

I think that the BSD license is better for GNU/Linux than the GPL license is for BSD ;)

vivek said:
Quoting from the Debian GNU/Linux page:
The Debian Release Team is pleased to announce that it sees the port of the Debian system to the FreeBSD kernel fit to be handeld equal with the other release ports.
Not that I'm a big fan of Debian, but I do think it'll be interesting to see how this works out.

Alphons

I forgot about ZFS :e You can now have it on Linux without using 3rd party stuff.

aragon said:
I wonder about libc?

And I wonder if it runs linux binaries, or FreeBSD binaries...

They're probably the same source but compiled for the FreeBSD kernel. The page I referred to talks about glibc which is basically the GNU version of our libc.

As I understood it the way an API is called is slightly different between linux and freebsd. So code has to be specifically compiled for a certain kernel.

Eponasoft said:
Now that just sounds perverse.:x

Agreed... These types of projects I find a waste.. If you like BSD use BSD.. If you don't then stick with what you like. I see no point in trying to port BSD's goodies over to Linux. If you like, for example, ports, then use BSD.

Same things with Gentoo/FreeBSD... just stupid, in my opinion.

It's just a FreeBSD Kernel with a GNU userland around and all it's disadvantages.
Dunno but one of the advantages of BSD is things come from one source + the ports as 3rd party applications.

Already tried it in a VM still I prefer FreeBSD

UPDATE
======

ZFS is now available in Debian/kFreeBSD, Sid (unstable) :

Thanks to Tuco Xyz, Petr Salinger and Aurelien Jarno, zfsutils are now packaged for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and available in "Sid", including the relevant libraries and a udeb package for the Debian Installer. Its availability also brought some kernel ZFS issues to light which have been fixed in the meantime. Now Debian GNU/kFreeBSD can fully support ZFS.

http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2010/09/#7

It's not Linux (that's only the kernel), but that's just GNU userland + FreeBSD Kernel ...
this is interesting, it remembers me to nexenta ... comparing it to FreeBSD is dummy, because there you have some GNU/Debian goodies that simplifies management (like apt), sounds interesting ... (It may be a good thing for people more used to Debian style, that wants to have cool stuff from FreeBSD like ZFS and Jails "for free")

But, as a user already said : I personally prefer FreeBSD anyways

tty3, can you look into different translation software / websites? Your posts are sometimes quite hard to understand (and I'm being friendly).

DutchDaemon said:
tty3, can you look into different translation software / websites? Your posts are sometimes quite hard to understand (and I'm being friendly).

Exist private messages...

According the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD why, there is a jails and (as hansivers have stated) ZFS support.

So the advantages for Debian people could be to have the system they want (ie their GNU userland) with a centralized /dev, ZFS and pf support.

UNIXgod, according this FAQ, k is for kernel.

Do you think this could be a way for the serious debian people to move away from what debain has kinda become i.e. ubuntu? I only ask this as when I talk to a serious debian user they always have this pained look on there face when ever you mention ubuntu if not followed immediately with the words " is a dog's dinner".

saxon3049 said:
Do you think this could be a way for the serious debian people to move away from what debain has kinda become i.e. ubuntu? I only ask this as when I talk to a serious debian user they always have this pained look on there face when every you mention ubuntu if not followed immediately with the words " is a dog's dinner".

Not really, as soon as the bugs are worked out of the process, someone will inevitably make an Ubuntu version.

saxon3049 said:
Do you think this could be a way for the serious debian people to move away from what debain has kinda become i.e. ubuntu? I only ask this as when I talk to a serious debian user they always have this pained look on there face when ever you mention ubuntu if not followed immediately with the words " is a dog's dinner".

Interesting question. I use Debian primarily, coming from Ubuntu and Mandriva. While the latter is built from Debian Unstable it lacks the quality that Debian Proper is known for. For some reason or another some Debian users dislike (or even hate) Ubuntu. I don't get that mindset. Ubuntu is for people new to Linux, most likely coming from Windows. One may be based on the other but they have completely different missions and reasons for existence.

I like FreeBSD and I think it's a great OS but I don't have a pressing need for it right now. Would I be interested in trying kFreeBSD? Sure. I'd have a familiar user environment but with the features, stability, and quality of the FreeBSD kernel.

Back