Solved CUPS ... yet again: SOLVED

I wonder if there are permission issues with the web content?
I have suspected that for some time....and from your advice, I now think I know why this particular computer is acting this way with CUPS.

When I set up the other computer, I joined the main user, me, to the roots group: for this computer, I joined the main user to the wheel group. Furthermore, I am using that newer FuryBSD desktop (on both), and it will not allow me to log into the desktop as root from this computer.
Two things to try:
1) Try https://localhost:631 and click the web page tab to login as admin.
When I attempt that, nothing occurs.
It will place a cookie in your browser. If cookies are disabled that could also cause problems.
Cookies are not disabled.
2) Try a root login in a X window and start the browser as root. You should not have to provide additional authentication as root and should have access to all files. Once you get the printer configured, you should have access to it as a user.
So far, I can't do that on this computer. It just plain won't let me....or I don't remember how to do that. It has been around 20 years since I last used Unix (HP-UX server) in my work situation, and I am having to relearn a lot. In addition, I was never really very good at it then anyway.

I will research adding a user to the root group., I suspect that will fix it.

Ken Gordon

I will research adding a user to the root group., I suspect that will fix it.
Some setups have an lp (line printer) group which controls local access printer access. I would browse the cups admin files in a shell and see what owner/group are being used and with what permissions.
A side comment; this does not sound good for FuryBSD.

Some setups have an lp (line printer) group which controls local access printer access. I would browse the cups admin files in a shell and see what owner/group are being used and with what permissions.
A side comment; this does not sound good for FuryBSD - they may have to re-invent themselves again.
OK. It is working.

I deinstalled cups, rm -rf the directories, went to /usr/ports/cups, mkdir print, then make install clean. After that, just to make sure, from the /usr/ports/cups directory, I then did pkg install cups. Edited the /etc/hosts file, edited /etc/rc.conf. Went to /usr/ports/print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr, and make install clean. Then rebooted. Fired up Firefox and http://localhost:631 and everything works as it should.

Found my correct ppd and installed the printer.

Looks like the problem is not furybsd, but how I originally installed cups. It was MY fault, alone.

But where are the cups admin files? i haven't found those yet. The log files are not quite right.

But everything now works, so I can live with that.

My head hurts.

Again, thanks....much!

Ken Gordon

BTW, I am finding FuryBSD to be very, very nice. Even on this slow, old laptop, it installs easily, loads quickly, does not include a bunch of unnecessary crap, and is easy to use.

The users I am doing this for will have no trouble using it.

Ken Gordon

This thread can be marked as solved. Everything is working as it should. And thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have re-learned a lot.

Ken Gordon

Back