CUPS Configuration and the LPD

First, I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum board.

I'm new to CUPS and I guess that I just don't understand some very basic configuration concepts. CUPS is a spooling system, as is the LPD. I've read posts and documentation that suggest that LPD might not be used in favor of CUPS; however, the CUPS documentation regarding command line printing references the lp and lpr commands. If I shutdown the LPD, then lp and lpr fail, and diagnostic messages suggest that I check to assure that the main LPD is running.

If I start the LPD, then (apparently) lp and lpr route the print request through the LPD's spooler, rather than cupsd.

For example, an attempt to print a simple text file, "printtest" fails as follows:

Code:
lpr -P HPLaserJet6P printtest
lpr: HPLaserJet6P: unknown printer

I can understand why . . .because /etc/printcap does not describe the HPLaserJet6P. (In fact, there are no printers described in /etc/printcap . . .yet.) /usr/local/etc/printcap is automatically generated as follows:

Code:
# This file was automatically generated by cupsd(8) from the
# /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf file.  All changes to this file
# will be lost.
EpsonActionLaserPlus|Epson Action Laser Plus:rm=archaxis.net:rp=EpsonActionLaser
Plus:
HPLaserJet6P|HP LaserJet 6P:rm=archaxis.net:rp=HPLaserJet6P:

What do I need to do to configure CUPS to route an lp or lpr submission through its spooler?

This looks good to me:
Code:
# lpstat -t
scheduler is running
system default destination: EpsonActionLaserPlus
device for EpsonActionLaserPlus: parallel:/dev/lpt0
device for HPLaserJet6P: http://192.168.1.10
EpsonActionLaserPlus accepting requests since Sat Feb 19 18:01:02 2011
HPLaserJet6P accepting requests since Sun Feb 20 14:15:50 2011
printer EpsonActionLaserPlus is idle.  enabled since Sat Feb 19 18:01:02 2011
printer HPLaserJet6P is idle.  enabled since Sun Feb 20 14:15:50 2011
. . .so what do I do to send something to the printer? :(

Also, I do not find a "default" /usr/local/etc/cups/lpoptions file. Is this something that I need to manually create, or does the CUPS web client administration system create the file?

Back