Creator of CBBS and XMODEM has logged off

Very sad. A giant of early public domain software. From a time before politics and egos entered hobbyist computing: if you wrote some good code, you contributed it somewhere, and it got passed around and used by lots of people.

I used a BBS to spread the first software i wrote and found useful. Hope he got sent off with the 21 dialup salute.

(For the youngsters, you could hear the modem talking while connecting and syncing, and even hear what make/model was the other side).

Wow I remember the time very well In the late 1980 years I was using BBS systems. At the time I had a Atari ST computer and wrote my own
BBS software on it. The BBS also had xmodem implemented. People could send emails to each other and the system had different discussion
threads like this FreeBSD forums. Only a very early version of it without internet at the time. Only dial up but speed did not matter it was just magic.
The hardware interface was done by Hacker Hans from Cologne to pick up the phone when a call came in.
That was real adventure when the call was coming in and a little motor picked the phone up connected to the modem.

Back