creating tar getting errors

hi all,

I'm getting this when I create a tar using this command

tar -cf filename.tar /path/to/directory

Code:
: Can't translate pathname 'Even When I Fall - January 2017 Project/Even When I Fall_Fx/MOLINARE Copy of  EWIF-Friday-MeteorSwoosh/Audio Files/._103-summit roof.. Differnet directions.. General ambience… but very quiet-clip.L' to UTF-8: Can't translate pathname 'Even When I Fall - January 2017 Project/Even When I Fall_Fx/MOLINARE Copy of  EWIF-Friday-MeteorSwoosh/Audio Files/103-summit roof.. Differnet directions.. General ambience… but very quiet-clip.L' to UTF-8: Can't translate pathname
It completes the tar file but why am I getting these warnings/errors,

Many thanks.

rob

Most likely an encoding and locale problem. I'd say it's caused by the horizontal ellipsis character after the word "ambience". Rename the file to have "..." (three separate dots) instead of "…" (as one character) and try again.

thanks for the quick response much appreciated

will the tar file be ok ie will it copy everything like for like and its just giving me warnings but the tar file will still be fine

or can i do a md5 checksum to make sure its like for like

I may be wrong, but since it couldn't read the path, it probably skipped the file. So the archive should be fine, but it just won't include the offending file.

This is mere speculation though. So yes, you should check the resulting archive. Try extracting it into a temporary location and see if the file is present or not.

thanks all, i just had a brain wave

whats the command to extract, i know the command to create

create -

tar -cf whatyouwanttarfilecalled.tar /path/to/dir/you/want/to/tar

extract -

cd /path/to/tar
tar -xf whatyouwanttarfilecalled.tar

and then i will do a size of directory and do a file count on both

what you think?

Back