CR3 not opening in Darktable with libraw and exiv2

According to the exiv2 project, CR3 and BMFF files has been supported since 2021. In the install instructions for Darktable, it is mentioned, that BMFF has to be enabled, when installing exiv2. However, I do not see any compile option with this name. Current version in pkg and ports is 0.27.5. Latest version on exiv2s website is 0.27.6. However, BMFF is listed as supported in ealier versions since 2021. Does anyone have a hint to a possible solution?
CR3 is the raw file format in newer Canon cameras. Darktable is a graphics application, that depends on libraw and exiv2 for reading CR3 and raw format files.

Last edited:
What does exiv2 --version --verbose | grep bmff enable_bmff=1 output?

Edit: Funny, that command line is from their website and is wrong. Anyway, looking at the exiv2 package: enable_bmff=0. So it's not enabled. Not much to disable or enable on this port either. Short answer, it's not enabled by default and can't be enabled either. You could ask the maintainer if they're willing to add it as an option.

That command gives me a segmentation fault, but if I output to a file, the result includes enable_bmff=0 as you mentioned too. I wrote to the maintainer yesterday and proveded a link to this thread.

Hi! I'm currently looking into updating Darktable to 4.2 (stealing work from Mathias Andree in graphics/darktable42), thanks for the reminder, micski!

There are other problems to solve, in particular, Darktable fails to compile with LLVM 14 and 15. I found one solution and currently test it in Poudriere.

I noticed, that there has been a change in the options for exiv2. It was a message, that appeared, while updating packages. I am not sure, if it is related to CR3.

Hi! I'm currently looking into updating Darktable to 4.2 (stealing work from Mathias Andree in graphics/darktable42), thanks for the reminder, micski!

There are other problems to solve, in particular, Darktable fails to compile with LLVM 14 and 15. I found one solution and currently test it in Poudriere.
How is your and Mathias's work on a solution for this issue coming out?

What is status of this project?

In the quarterly package builds, the package named "darktable" is currently at version 4.2.1.
It looks like on latest, darktable is up to 4.4.2
Not sure if that answers the exiv2 question about CR3/BMFF support.

Hi! Sorry for the late answer, I didn't notice your messages.

I pushed a commit yesterday to the Ports tree to enable the ISOBMFF option in Darktable. The version of the port/package is "4.4.2_4". I tested with a CR3 file found on the Internet and I could import it in Darktable.

If you have other feature requests or bug reports, could you please use Bugzilla (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/) instead of the forum? It's way easier to track the progress.

Reactions: mer
Back