couple of annoying problems

Hi all, I recently installed FBSD 7.2 and ran into a couple of little "glitches" that .. well to quote a famous person.. "make me very very mad"! hehe

I'm not sure what went amuck or how to fix them..

#1 - I can't shut down (in gnome, or the welcome screen), any command that sleeps, reboots or shuts down the system fails "Failed to stop computer". or applet buttons.. so far the only quick fix is to log on as root and open a term and reboot that way.. did I miss something.. or ?

#2 - my mounted dos partitions show up fine with the root account, but not at all with a user account?

#3 - with the user editor in gnome, the options to delete or change users is not selectable when logged in as root.

#4 - my time is gimped.. Its set for the right time zone, but its +7 hrs.. for what ever reason I'm missing something in the command line to set it properly.

I'm not sure what files would be of help to solve these problems. however re-installing, from package and source continues to fail.. Granted it was good practice :)

Thanks

ps: i'm still in shock with all the advancements from version 4..Its refreshing to see such huge changes and improvements.

[q]#4 - my time is gimped.. Its set for the right time zone, but its +7 hrs.. for what ever reason I'm missing something in the command line to set it properly.[/q]

fixed (lol pipcap) :)

webtc said:
#1 - I can't shut down (in gnome, or the welcome screen), any command that sleeps, reboots or shuts down the system fails "Failed to stop computer". or applet buttons.. so far the only quick fix is to log on as root and open a term and reboot that way.. did I miss something.. or ?
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=2324
Should work for GNOME too.

#2 - my mounted dos partitions show up fine with the root account, but not at all with a user account?
http://www.freebsd.org//gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q3

#3 - with the user editor in gnome, the options to delete or change users is not selectable when logged in as root.
You need to start GNOME using GDM, login as a normal user and those applications will ask for a password. This is due to consolekit/policykit.

#4 - my time is gimped.. Its set for the right time zone, but its +7 hrs.. for what ever reason I'm missing something in the command line to set it properly.
After you've set the correct time zone with tzsetup(8) use ntpdate(8) to get it in sync using an internet NTP server.

Thanks for the answers, I managed to get the time set.. As for the user groups and such, I was unable to figure out if users can be in more then one group? or how to change groups. IE when it asks what group to add someone to, do you use the # of the group? or the name?

I have changed my /etc/rc.conf file to add the following lines.. however I still cant shut down or reboot without loading a term as root and using the reboot or shutdown command. (btw is this an acceptable way to shutdown? or am i causing damage to the file system?)

added to /etc/rc.conf
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

I have reviewed the other links, (thanks again) but I'm not sure what arguments are used for commands such as :

commandname(6)

does that mean there are 6 options and I want number 6? or .. I'm kind of confused by that and have not been able to find an explanation

thanks aging for the help

You need only add gnome_enable to rc.conf; it starts the rest of them (including two for avahi that you don't list).

"commandname(6)" I'd bet refers you to commandname, which can be found in section 6 of the manual. So it would be man 6 commandname. You don't really need to add it, but look at what the hierarchy of man pages is.

ahh, well I cant edit the above post however I did manage to solve the shutdown problem..

I think i'm half way through the auto mount problemm.

time issue was solved

leaving just the user accounts issues, however I think its better for me to use the command line version :)

If you could please clear up what tzsetup(8) or similar commands refers to I think im all set up now. ..

thank you again!!!!!!

webtc said:
leaving just the user accounts issues, however I think its better for me to use the command line version :)
# pw groupmod operator -m user1,user2
This will add user1 and user2 to the group 'operator'.

# pw groupmod operator -d user1,user2
This will remove user1 and user2 from the group 'operator'.

See pw(8) for more info.

To answer a little of the other user/group questions. A user can be a member of multiple groups but one group will always be the user's primary group. By default the user's primary group is a groupname with the same name as the username.

If you could please clear up what tzsetup(8) or similar commands refers to I think im all set up now. ..
Tzsetup sets the machine's timezone. The (8) indicates which section of the man pages it's at. To see it's man page:
$ man 8 tzsetup

The forum setup here allows us to use special tags that, when clicked on, will direct you to it's online man page. Quite a handy feature ;)

Back