vbox Corrupted boot on upgrade to 13.0-p2

Hello everyone! I have freebsd running on virtualbox on a remote machine. During the upgrade to 13.0-p2 something went wrong and the boot hangs at stage 2 with the following screen (@ denotes a non-ascii smile character):

Code:
/boot/config: @

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: zroot/ROOT/13.0: @
boot:
|
Can't find @

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: zroot/ROOT/13.0:@
boot:

I can continue booting by typing /boot/loader and the system boots normally, but on the next reboot the same thing happens again. Seems like something got corrupted. How can this be fixed?

Do you use mbr or gpt partition table ? Do you use specific boot environments or not i.e. bectl ? Do you boot via efi or not ?
With this information you can reinstall the boot...boot0...boot1, or revert to a previous boot configuration, or hint the loader with a
/boot.config file, cfr "man boot"

It's GPT, EFI disabled on virtualbox, ZFS on root. I managed to fix it with gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 ada0 as instructed in man gptzfsboot. Booting is working again now. Thanks.

Something got messed up before the update as the update itself does absolutely nothing with the boot loaders. freebsd-update(8) will not touch it either.

Back