• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

.core files

nu2fbsd

Is there someway to put the *.core file/s in /tmp for auto deletion which are application crash files. I have used FBSD before (version 8.0) but did not see .core files, in 8.1 I am getting .core files.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

An application core dump will be stored in whatever the current working directory is at that time. As far as I know you can't change that behavior.

Bunyan

There is a way to avoid creation of core files.
Just add string limit coredumpsize 0 to .cshrc

Beastie

Daemon

Of course the easiest and fastest solution is to disable the creation of core files once and for all.
But if you insist on moving them to /tmp, you can always use crontab(1) to % find ~ -name '*.core' -exec mv {} /tmp \; or so.

If you rarely had crashes before, you probably should investigate the reason for their sudden appearance.

rbelk

There is no need to add another script to root's crontab. Just add the following entry into /etc/periodic.conf.

Code:
daily_clean_disks_files="[#,]* .#* a.out *.core *.CKP .emacs_[0-9]*"
You can define what ever you want to be cleaned from your filesystem. This entry is referenced by the file /etc/periodic/daily/100.clean-disks. It is run daily.

Please create the /etc/periodic.conf file and don't edit /etc/defaults/periodic.conf file.