Copying Debian installation to gpart partition

I have a multiboot gpt partitioned hard disk which uses a FreeBSD based grub and numerous bootable OSes many of which boot from an ISO image.

I've just installed Debian on a separate disk and was interested in copying the installation to my multiboot disk. Since Debian boots via grub, I was wondering whether adding Debian to my multiboot disk would consist of adding an additional linux-data partition, adding the necessary grub entries and then copying the Debian partition to the linux-data partition.

If that sounds ok, then how do I copy that partition? Do I do that from within Debian, or copy the the partition using dd or some utility such as Clonezilla or Partclone?

When I moved an installation of Debian from one machine to another they store the nework config in a fixed file. So you must adjust the interface name manually. Not a big deal but coming from FreeBSD it took some poking to figure that out.
/etc/network/interfaces
On FreeBSD I have ifconfig_DEFAULT="DHCP" and that works much better.

Does FreeBSD use GRUB2? That is default on Debian stretch.

When I moved an installation of Debian from one machine to another they store the nework config in a fixed file. So you must adjust the interface name manually. Not a big deal but coming from FreeBSD it took some poking to figure that out.
/etc/network/interfaces
On FreeBSD I have ifconfig_DEFAULT="DHCP" and that works much better.

Does FreeBSD use GRUB2? That is default on Debian stretch.

I'm using FreeBSD's GRUB2 but am having difficulty adapting the Debian Grub entry to FreeBSD
Code:
set linux_gfx_mode=
export linux_gfx_mode
menuentry 'Debian GNU/Linux' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-2cdf3ff8-2c16-4b59-a487-93c96d036765' {
    load_video
    insmod gzio
    if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='hd1,msdos2'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos2  2cdf3ff8-2c16-4b59-a487-93c96d036765
    else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 2cdf3ff8-2c16-4b59-a487-93c96d036765
    fi
    echo    'Loading Linux 4.9.0-4-amd64 ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-4-amd64 root=UUID=2cdf3ff8-2c16-4b59-a487-93c96d036765 ro  quiet
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-4-amd64

I know I need to change 'hd1,msdos2' to 'hd0,gpt14', but 'part_msdos' needs changing and I've no idea about UUID.

fstab will also need changing...
Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sdb2 during installation
UUID=2cdf3ff8-2c16-4b59-a487-93c96d036765 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/sr0        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

Back