Solved Continuing with freebsd-update

I am stuck with my attempts at updating my Freebsd 12.4 install, and this is because I have had to be away from FreeBSD for several months and have simply forgotten some things: after I have done freebsd-update fetch install , the system fetches the files, then lists them. The list then ends with the word END. At that point, I have forgotten the command needed to get back to the input so I can continue with the installation. Ctrl-C doesn't do anything. Any quick help out there?

Ken Gordon

Now I have another question: when I did freebsd-version, it returned FreeBSD 12.4-RELEASE-p7: after doing the update, that command returns, FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p10. If I do, freebsd-version -ruk, it returns the first two as 12.2-RELEASE-p7, and the kernel is 12.2-RELEASE-p10

Is this correct? Or was version 12.4-RELEASE-p7 an interim version...or something?

Ken Gordon

SirDice explained it elsewhere as patches for the kernel take it to one version, patches to userland/base take it to another version.

Obviously a kernel can only be updated with a reboot (as far as indicating its version).

I am stuck with my attempts at updating my Freebsd 12.4 install, and this is because I have had to be away from FreeBSD for several months and have simply forgotten some things: after I have done freebsd-update fetch install , the system fetches the files, then lists them. The list then ends with the word END. At that point, I have forgotten the command needed to get back to the input so I can continue with the installation. Ctrl-C doesn't do anything. Any quick help out there?

Ken Gordon
I have to say, I tried this the other day (first time in a long time!! :D as I'm source-build normally) and I dislike that meaningless prompt. Just cat the thing or place it in a file in /tmp; either way it's a silly gotcha that shouldn't be there.

mark_j is it possible that the prompt is actually due to PAGER from the environment? The prompt behavior is the same as the "man" command for me (PAGER=less in my environment).

But I do the same "how do I get out of here" from the list of files.
"man less" shows a couple interesting command line options (that you can set in your environment):
Code:
      -e or --quit-at-eof
              Causes less to automatically exit the second time it reaches
              end-of-file.  By default, the only way to exit less is via the
              "q" command.

-E or --QUIT-AT-EOF
              Causes less to automatically exit the first time it reaches end-
              of-file.

Options are also taken from the environment variable "LESS".  For
       example, to avoid typing "less -options ..." each time less is invoked,
       you might tell csh:

setenv LESS "-options"

or if you use sh:

LESS="-options"; export LESS

So maybe in you login files add
Code:
setenv PAGER less
setenv LESS "-E"
and see what happens?

That may work. I set the second, did man less and when it got to the end, it did not prompt, it just quit. No guarantee that it will work for freebsd-update, but it may based on my observation that freebsd-version and man behaved the same.

Thanks, Folks. Two questions answered. And BTW, there most certainly was a version 12.4-RELEASE. Dunno where it went, but I installed it or updated to it several months ago. I don't really care: I am simply curious.

Ken Gordon

OK.

Hmmm....I wonder what it was that I saw, then, when I did freebsd-version before my most recent update?

Oh, well. It really doesn't matter as long as my system is working correctly now.

Thank you,

Ken Gordon

.I wonder what it was that I saw, then, when I did freebsd-version before my most recent update?
Maybe you are remembering the .4 from 11.4-RELEASE. That's the last of the 11 version branch.

Back