configuring printer > CUPS

Hi there.
I had on my FreeBSD box an USB XEROX Phaser 3117 printer. I want to make it work somehow.
I ask your advices about starting configuring. I read in the Handbook about
USB is superior to RS-232 Serial and to Parallel for printing, but it is not as well supported under UNIX® systems.
so I installed CUPS. I have now:
Code:
cups-base-1.4.2_3   Common UNIX Printing System: Server
cups-client-1.4.2_3 Common UNIX Printing System: Library cups
cups-image-1.4.2_3  Common UNIX Printing System: Library cupsimage
cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_4 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to non-PS printers
I have no idea what to do next. How to start the server, how to make primary configuration.

And of course about printer drivers. In the past I could use this printer under Linux using Samsung SPL2 ML 1710 driver. I checked at http://www.cups.org/ppd.php (Drivers) and there are no drivers for Samsung or XEROX Phaser 3117.

Any hints?

Thanks

thanks killasmurf86. I installed gutenprint and start cupsd and go to http://localhost:631/admin > add printer, follow the instructions and install printer, and I tried a test page and I got:
Code:
 "Unable to open device file "/dev/ulpt0": Permission denied"
do I need to change some permissions?

in /etc/devfs.rules add
Code:
[localrules=10]
# Parallel port:
add path 'unlpt*' mode 0660 group cups
add path 'ulpt*' mode 0660 group cups
#add path 'lpt*' mode 0660 group cups

in /etc/rc.conf add
Code:
devfs_system_ruleset="localrules"

make sure you belong to group cups as well

Info on how to set this up was show when you installed cups :)

Frankly, I usually add users to groups simply editing /etc/group

however I think command you entered is correct, if "me" is your username :D

killasmurf86 said:
however I think command you entered is correct
well is something with -G option. I edited /etc/group before that command and I use to be member of wheel group. After that command I was just member of cups group. So I edited again /etc/group and add my user name in wheel group too. Hope is correct

hirohitosan said:
well is something with -G option. I edited /etc/group before that command and I use to be member of wheel group. After that command I was just member of cups group. So I edited again /etc/group and add my user name in wheel group too. Hope is correct

If you're using the command # pw usermod me -G <group_list> to add group(s) to your user account, you will have to specify the group list you want to be in(current group(s) and new ones). For example if you're currently a member of group wheel, and you want to join the group operator, your command will look like this:

Code:
pw usermod me -G wheel,operator

If you just run # pw usermod me -G operator, you will be removed from the group wheel.

If you just want to specify only the group that you want to join in, you can use the following command instead:

Code:
pw groupmod operator -m me

Back