Computer-Science Prerequisites

Hawk said:
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

WAS taking their intro to programming course until life threw me some curve-balls.

My life is one big curve ball. I recently adopted a new philosophy on life: to change the way I perceive events and how I react to them. It's been going OK. I started working at a place I thought I'd dread, but with a little perspective-magic, I'm pretty happy there. Funny how when I started there I was starting to develop a poor attitude, but then I got this horoscope (don't really believe in that stuff, but hey, maybe we're in the Matrix or something)that said that I'm being given a good opportunity, but it greatly depends on my attitude (paraphrase). That reinforced my drive a little. Oh, and I just saw this yesterday:

20131015_154954_zpse1755d34.jpg

Try to not dwell on the curve balls. Think of the tough times as rough yet necessary parts of the path to your ultimate goals. It will all pass. In fact, we'll all be dead some day, so don't stress too hard. ;)

JakkFrosted said:
Try to not dwell on the curve balls. Think of the tough times as rough yet necessary parts of the path to your ultimate goals. It will all pass. In fact, we'll all be dead some day, so don't stress too hard. ;)

Trust me, I don't. That philosophy is a typical side effect of what my avatar represents.

JakkFrosted said:
I never went to college; no one in my family has. I have a fascination with computing (at least I think I do), but the more I learn the more I feel like there are missing pieces of information. I think a formal education would help me to know what I don't know I don't know. Here's the thing: I have no clue where to start. I know there are prerequisites for computer science, but do I take it upon myself to take those courses, or do I go ahead and apply to a college and the college will have me take those courses?

Note that I intend to earn this degree online, and have not yet chosen a school; I hold a GED, not a high-school diploma; my math is only as far as pre-algebra; I'm about to turn 31; and, earning this degree really isn't about getting into a new career (that would be a +), it's more about being able to bring some ideas I have into fruition and being more self sufficient. I'm not concerned about debt.

So, I would really like some advice on how I should proceed. I would also very much appreciate any personal opinions regarding any of the above details. I'm open to constructive criticism, so don't hold back thinking that I will take offense.

Some schools will let you make up your own "pieces and parts" curriculum, but most won't. One of the first programming courses I took was a COBOL course. I wasn't an official CIS student. Well - they signed me up - took my money - and let me go more than half way through the course before the department head interrupted the class one day. He pointed to me, had me follow him out of the room, and told me I couldn't be in there for lack of "pre-requisites". I had aced (100%) all of the tests to that point. So .... prerequisites? Ahhhg ... didn't like COBOL anyway!

Back