Complain

Python is an evolving language. As opposed to for instance C.
C is still evolving, but quietly. It can still compile old BSD code but with some helpful warnings. I encounter frustrations when trying to do occasional development for Arduino and ESP32/8266 devices. SDKs that worked last year don't work now because of Python dependencies. Python is used to make cross-platform toolchains. Java would probably be a better choice. It works well for STM32 kits.

C is still evolving, but quietly. It can still compile old BSD code but with some helpful warnings. I encounter frustrations when trying to do occasional development for Arduino and ESP32/8266 devices. SDKs that worked last year don't work now because of Python dependencies. Python is used to make cross-platform toolchains. Java would probably be a better choice. It works well for STM32 kits.
Problem with Java is that it's neither a compiled nor an interpreted language. Or that it's kind of both at the same time. This makes it hard to write scripts in it.

I have encountered a Java build system, and even used it to build a trivial Java project:

It's just ok. Far better than abominations like Gradle and Maven, but that's a low bar.

I once tried to script an android app build. It was almost impossible. I was hard-wired into the editor.
It gave me a M-soft feeling.

xorg+ some 2000 ports. Works fine with only python3.7. As i currently use it and have everything installed from my poudriere repository.

Note 1, I blacklisted python2,python2.7,python3.6,python3.8 during the build. So I don't have a Chromium browser as it depends for build on python 2.

Note 2, Using python3.8 as default python gave me very bad results with quarterly. Maybe next quarterly. Once the ports of it are available I'll try.

To be honest I don't remember. I remember i had problems.
For your info these are the versions in my current quarterly ports make.conf,
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=llvm=12
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=gcc=10
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=lua=5.4
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=lua5=5.4
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=perl=5.32
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=perl5=5.32
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python=3.7
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=python3=3.7
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ruby=2.7
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ruby2=2.7
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=pgsql=12
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=mysql=10.5m
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=php=7.4
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=tcltk=8.6

PS: I tried tcltk=8.7 but it is still too soon for it.

Back