Solved Compiz Grid for Mate Desktop or other tools for tiling

Hello Everybody,

I am quite new to FreeBSD, but shortly I decided to try to move from the Linux Mint-Mate desktop to the FreeBSD 11.0 Mate desktop. So far so good and I already got a lot of things working the way I want.

Accept for one thing: And that is tiling. I have a 3 screen setup with a recent Nvidia GPU and on Mint I used a nice little tool for positioning my windows that is called quicktile http://ssokolow.com/quicktile/
Basically it has the same functions as the Grid Plugin for Compiz Fusion, without needing to install Compiz Fusion

The problem is that I can not get quicktile running because it needs python-wnck 2.20+ and I don't have any idea how to get that installed in FreeBSD. I don't have enough technical knowledge for that. So I hope there is somebody here who can help me with that.

Or maybe there are comparable tile solutions for FreeBSD available.

Or is the only way to get there to install Compiz Fusion and the Grid plugin on FreeBSD. If that is the case, can somebody show me where I can find a recent installation guide for Compiz Fusion in FreeBSD 11.0

I would appreciate your help very much

Or maybe there are comparable tile solutions for FreeBSD available.
If it is about tiling window mananger ports-mgnt/psearch suggests
Code:
psearch -c x11-wm tiling
x11-wm/awesome2           Tiling window manager initially based on a dwm code rewriting
x11-wm/bspwm              Tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning
x11-wm/euclid-wm          Minimalist, tiling window manager for X11
x11-wm/herbstluftwm       Manual tiling window manager for X11
x11-wm/hs-xmonad          Tiling window manager
x11-wm/i3                 Improved dynamic tiling window manager
x11-wm/larswm             Tiling Window Manager for X
x11-wm/qtile              Small, flexible, scriptable tiling window manager written in Python
x11-wm/spectrwm           Small, dynamic tiling window manager for X11
x11-wm/subtle             Grid-based manual tiling window manager
x11-wm/wmfs               Floating and tiling Window Manager From Scratch
There are even more as x11-wm/dwm. I hope this answers your question at least a little bit.

If it is about tiling window mananger ports-mgnt/psearch suggests
Code:
psearch -c x11-wm tiling

There are even more as [port]x11-wm/dwm[/port]. I hope this answers your question at least a little bit.

Thanks a lot for your answer. As I am quite new to Freebsd I do not yet know all possible (search) options. I knew about the ports search option, but apparently did not know how to use it.

I thought I only could use search to see if a specific tool (for instance "glabel") is available in ports. But did not know one can also search with a general term like "tiling" in all corresponding file descriptions.

I start to love Freebsd more and more.

Back