Compiz ERROR

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all. I'm running FreeBSD amd64 as guest on Virtualbox, and I want to try Compiz Fusion. When I finally installed it and tried to run with this command this is what I get:

$ compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace

Output:
Code:
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing                      
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0                                  
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0

Also tried this:
$ LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1 compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &

Output:
WHITE SCREEN

What am I doing wrong?

THANK YOU
Thank you,
Hidolfo

Sorry to say, there is no 3D acceleration in FreeBSD running on VirtualBox. If you want to run Compiz, you will need to use FreeBSD physical hardware that supports 3D acceleration.

Adam

Oh, what a shame, I didn't know that, sorry. Then what can I use for a compositing windows manager in VirtualBox?

Thank you.

You can use any compositing manager that doesn't require 3D acceleration. xcompmgr, xfwm4, metacity, etc.

Adam

Forgive my insanity, but why do you want to have/need compositing in a virtualized environment, even if you had the software setup correctly you would be effective using more CPU cycles than necessary. I personally believe that, although pretty, compositing is a wast of time and CPU. As a gamer it isn't necessary, and a very bad idea to have a compositor running, plus in a virtual environment you are limited by I/O, RAM and CPU cycles. This just seems needless to me. <-all personal preference

Hello, thanks for your opinion, It took me a lot of time (almost a year) to learn how to install and run FreeBSD, when I finally did it, it doesn't look like a FreeBSD environment, and that pissed me off, KDE orb and blue theme.

Back