comparison with debian

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 3 sources of configurations, but you can generally reduce it to two, if you want.

I use:
  1. /etc/make.conf
  2. /usr/local/etc/buildflags.conf, see sysutils/bsdadminscripts
  3. /var/db/ports

I use buildflags.conf generally to protect my system(s) from weird dependencies, which I don't like, e.g.:
Code:
*/sysutils/hal{IGNORE} # bleh
*/net/avahi*{IGNORE}   # lennart
*/graphics/libwpg{NOPORTDOCS} # would pull in half of KDE
*/textproc/libwps{NOPORTDOCS} # same problem as above

Many thanks to everyone. You spared me some time with your precious feedback. I have made my decision: will stick with debian a little longer. :)
The package manager weighs a lot in my choice, and debian seems closer at this moment to what I'm looking for. Source distribution is not for me, not because of lacking skills but because I think it's not a good choice.

In my quest for a good OS (not a perfect one :) ), two are on the top of the list: Debian and Arch. Would there not be a strong emphasis on manual actions in Arch, it would be great: BSD design, with a good package manager and a free ticket in the linux world (meaning: no linux emulator needed). In my native language this is called an "ostrich camel design", meaning an extreme heterogeneity which is either going to make it brilliant or a big failure. However, the manual thing outweights all other benefits for me, so I will stick with debian (which is also great btw, and for which I little critics beyond the slow release cycle).

I will keep and eye one FreeBSD and will check it out again probably when the new package manager is out. But I don't think I will want to use it as long as the emphasis on source distribution is bigger than on binary distribution.

Cheers,
Razvan

I think that's a wise and considered choice. At least you have the decency not to bash us over the heads about how awful FreeBSD is, simply because the design and architecture do not work well for you personally, and then following it up with demands and shopping lists that are unrealistic and very expensive. Thanks for that.

DutchDaemon said:
I think that's a wise and considered choice. At least you have the decency not to bash us over the heads about how awful FreeBSD is, simply because the design and architecture do not work well for you personally, and then following it up with demands and shopping lists that are unrealistic and very expensive. Thanks for that.
Sorry, but your is a looser attitude. That is nothing to be happy in this case: FreeBSD have loose another professional customer becouse it lack features absolutely indispansable.

Your attitude could kill a great OS. And if Foundation do not rethink about it, FreeBSD would never become the choice for professionals. And it is too bad.

So really nothing to be happy: FreeBSD have loose another customer. :-(

rotiq said:
Many thanks to everyone. You spared me some time with your precious feedback. I have made my decision: will stick with debian a little longer. :)
The package manager weighs a lot in my choice, and debian seems closer at this moment to what I'm looking for. Source distribution is not for me, not because of lacking skills but because I think it's not a good choice.

In my quest for a good OS (not a perfect one :) ), two are on the top of the list: Debian and Arch. Would there not be a strong emphasis on manual actions in Arch, it would be great: BSD design, with a good package manager and a free ticket in the linux world (meaning: no linux emulator needed). In my native language this is called an "ostrich camel design", meaning an extreme heterogeneity which is either going to make it brilliant or a big failure. However, the manual thing outweights all other benefits for me, so I will stick with debian (which is also great btw, and for which I little critics beyond the slow release cycle).

I will keep and eye one FreeBSD and will check it out again probably when the new package manager is out. But I don't think I will want to use it as long as the emphasis on source distribution is bigger than on binary distribution.

Cheers,
Razvan
Well, it is probably the right choice. I know Debian very well, I do use it from long time on some projects, even as a desktop OS. And it fit the bill very well, then, in this days, I found out the only Unix OS really working fine on old hardware, and talking about old hardware I think about machines between 5 and 10 years old, is FreeBSD. Actually, it is the best in this.

Then, at the opposite, actually, Linux distros like Archlinux are a lot better with very up to date hardware compared to FreeBSD, even better than classic desktop Linux OS like Ubuntu.

Sadly, in this, FreeBSD is the last of the bunch: don't think to run accelerated (and not accelerated) very new AMD or Nvidia grahics card. Also not very new - then still quietly new graphic cards like Radeon 5870 - never worked acceletated on any FreeBSD I did try. I have to say I didn't spent too much time with them on FreeBSD, becouse for me FreeBSD is this solid OS running really fine my old AMD Athlon and Pentium III/IV/Xeon machines.

For latest cut edge hardware there is Microsoft Windows 7 doing such an excellent job. And also for the fun to play some action game from time to time.

I have to say I tested a brand new bulldozer machine with the FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE DVD and had a kernel trap. Then, again, I didn't spent never ever one minute to see what happened, so I can't say if it need some trick to run that processor or it was that machine fault or what. Well, actually that machine run rock solid Archlinux and booted fine OpenSolaris install (just for testing purposes).

I would be not too optimist related with the official package manager and build system in recent times. Like you can read there is some hostility from some of the base users for such a tool, it makes no sense than there is (they maybe are worried, havin the install, some girl with no geely clue could maybe install FreeBSD herself and surf her Facebook on a FreeBSD machine, like actually my elder daugher do. BTW, I'm not sure how much important are for the Foundation a bunch of guys posting here intifada comments on any new proposal and so I'm not sure what the Foundation want to do in the future. I'm not sure if they are happy with them little user base or if they think such a good effort like them OS deserve more. Reading them site, it seems they have good plans and they want to conquer the world, then some people here seems to think different.

Surely, a legacy OS (I like to call it like this) like FreeBSD deserve a lot more in terms of public attention and users.

piggy said:
Sorry, but your is a looser attitude. That is nothing to be happy in this case: FreeBSD have loose another professional customer becouse it lack features absolutely indispansable.

Your attitude could kill a great OS. And if Foundation do not rethink about it, FreeBSD would never become the choice for professionals. And it is too bad.

So really nothing to be happy: FreeBSD have loose another customer. :-(

Pinggy your thread got closed for ad hominem attacks. You took over this one because you couldn't post there anymore.

The OP made an informed decision based on their current needs. Something you should also consider doing (hopefully soon).

I also find it in poor taste and disrespectful attacking the forum mods. They spend more time cleaning up after every uninformed "previous OS" user who comes here and creates baseless arguments on their own idea of what FreeBSD should be while never really taking in to account what FreeBSD is.

As to the OP. I'm glad you found what you where looking for. Debian is a respectable distro. In the future when you decide to reevaluate FreeBSD please understand that this forum is a great place to get started where everyone works to help one and other. The thread crapper piggy does not represent the FreeBSD community at large regardless of his disillusionment of longevity or ill defined posts.

UNIXgod said:
The thread crapper piggy does not represent the FreeBSD community at large regardless of his disillusionment of longevity or ill defined posts.
I do represent myself in the community exactly like you represent yourself in the community. Nothing more, nothing less.

piggy said:
I do represent myself in the community exactly like you represent yourself in the community. Nothing more, nothing less.

You should start your own thread and let us know how your experience with FreeBSD 4.x was like in 1994. I really would like to know. I can also pick apart other indications that your a lamer from your previous posts and quote you "poorly" in effort to make a poorly defined strawman argument. Then again you would be to lame an pig headed to understand. See ya around skiddie.

Well, OP was finished here anyway, so I see no reason to leave this topic festering on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back