common desktop environment (cde)

Hello,

Is there a port of CDE available for FreeBSD? CDE is a window manager I would very much like to use :)

Thanks,
nedry

There's no port for it. Search the forums, there have been a few people that attempted to build it.

cool, but a newbee question, ... how do I download the code to try and compile? sorry very new to this bsd. used to Ubuntu where its all compiled for you :)
nedry

cool, but a newbee question, ... how do I download the code to try and compile? sorry very new to this bsd.
If that's the case I suggest sticking to things that are in the ports tree and can easily be built or installed with packages. At least until you have a bit more experience with FreeBSD. There's plenty to choose from and will keep you busy for a while.

Chapter 4. Installing Applications: Packages and Ports

cool going to try compiling cde will it automatically compile and install X or do I have to before hand compile and install Xorg ?
thanks,
nedry

Yeah, a good way to learn is to try, fail, learn, try again, fail some more, etc. :D

will it automatically compile and install X or do I have to before hand compile and install Xorg? nedry
I can always install Xorg(1) as a package. The CDE compilation is straight forward, and here is the result:

cde-screenshot.png

Well, dtlogin is needed if you want to have a graphical display manager, if your x11/xorg is already running, you can start CDE by running /usr/local/dt/bin/Xsession.

Edited:
To simplify the things you can create/modify your ~/.xinitrc:
Code:
exec /usr/local/dt/bin/Xsession
Thus when you type startx it will launch CDE.

Back