Command blocks very difficult to read in dark theme

For me to read command blocks in a thread I have to run over them as if I'm going to copy them. I'm using the dark theme. Command blocks are white on a bright gray; extremely difficult to read natively. Please make command blocks in threads more dark theme friendly.

For me to read command blocks in a thread I have to run over them as if I'm going to copy them. I'm using the dark theme. Command blocks are white on a bright gray; extremely difficult to read natively. Please make command blocks in threads more dark theme friendly.
echo hello world
Wow, yeah, that's not great. The other themes have no issue with the #dee3e7 color as they're lighter, but the dark theme appears to conflict with that background color horribly.

Playing around with this in Chrome's DOM Inspector, it seems like the background should be darker, somewhere around #555 or #666 as they both appear to have decent contrast to set it apart from both the text and surrounding background color without sacrificing readability, though my vote is for #555. The somewhat lighter #666 may not provide enough contrast between the background color and the text color for some users.

echo hello world
Wow, yeah, that's not great.
Thanks for affirming that it's not just me not being an old root. ;)

The command blocks probably should have a dark font encased in the bright gray if the admins are going to keep the bright grey font background color. I prefer dark themes because they are much easier for me to read especially with my aging eyes. At the risk of carbon dating myself, again, I've spent quite a bit of time behind a screen. I'm not the only BSD ancient one here. :cool:

Thanks for affirming that it's not just me not being an old root. ;)
Not at all! I think it probably just went untested, or perhaps it's difficult to modify for this specific case? 🤔

The command blocks probably should have a dark font encased in the bright gray if the admins are going to keep the bright grey font background color.
Here's a sample I created from some screenshots I took after modifying either the text color or the background color (but not both):

all-1.png

The top two have the current light grey background with black text, based on what you suggested, and the bottom two have the dark gray background I suggested with the current white text. For each pair, the first is the normal size while the second is the slightly smaller size used when quoting a reply.

Graphics aren't my strong suit, so I apologize for the poor quality, but at least it illustrates the two ideas. I have no objection to either choice as both are much better than the current situation. My eyes are work fine for now, so my opinion isn't based on a need and thus has less merit, but I'd still vote for the dark gray background.

But which looks best to you? That's the important thing here. With any luck, it will be implemented. :)

Not at all! I think it probably just went untested, or perhaps it's difficult to modify for this specific case? 🤔
It may be a limitation of XenForo in which case the admins would have to submit a feature request with them. If they need me to do it in their behalf, I'll be happy to do it.
Graphics aren't my strong suit, so I apologize for the poor quality, but at least it illustrates the two ideas. I have no objection to either choice as both are much better than the current situation. My eyes are work fine for now, so my opinion isn't based on a need and thus has less merit, but I'd still vote for the dark gray background.

But which looks best to you? That's the important thing here. With any luck, it will be implemented. :)
The bottom choice. We look at quite a bit of command blocks on this forum with FreeBSD being first and foremost a CLI. The top idea came from my days many many moons ago of using monochrome monitors and terminals. If it's easier to implement the top choice for now that will work. You are correct that the bottom is easier on the eyes given we have color screens.

It's rare to see monochrome screen these days. Granted I have a three small VGA amber monochrome monitors laying around specifically for troubleshooting headless systems in the absence of a KVM box or switch. I probably need to deconsolidate and declutter as they're obsolete now with IPMI and small (7-9 inch) VGA flat screens now.

The bottom choice. We look at quite a bit of command blocks on this forum with FreeBSD being first and foremost a CLI. The top idea came from my days many many moons ago of using monochrome monitors and terminals. If it's easier to implement the top choice for now that will work. You are correct that the bottom is easier on the eyes given we have color screens.
That's a completely reasonable explanation. Without even CGA color capabilities, the top one would probably be the only choice, unless you're using a Hercules graphics card of course, but who has the money for that? 😄

It's rare to see monochrome screen these days. Granted I have a three small VGA amber monochrome monitors laying around specifically for troubleshooting headless systems in the absence of a KVM box or switch. I probably need to deconsolidate and declutter as they're obsolete now with IPMI and small (7-9 inch) VGA flat screens now.
Thankfully I'm young enough that I don't even remember the days of monochrome monitors. Admittedly, I miss the days when 56K dial-up was "fast", and I can't help admiring the programmers behind real-time games that managed to run in DOS (some even featuring up to 16 colors!) with the "drivers" for things like mice and extended memory still loaded at the same time. Times really have changed!

That's a completely reasonable explanation. Without even CGA color capabilities, the top one would probably be the only choice, unless you're using a Hercules graphics card of course, but who has the money for that? 😄

LOL!! That's hilarious. I had an old Hercules running a monochrome (orange) monitor. Man I musta been poor... :eek:
(Apologies for going off topic - back to your discussion.)

LOL!!
(Apologies for going off topic - back to your discussion.)
Nothing wrong with going off topic a bit in the interest of humor especially if you're strolling down memory lane if you've been around awhile. ;) I don't have an issue with it if the admin and mods don't besides it bumps the topic so maybe the admins will fix it. :cool:

Nothing wrong with going off topic a bit in the interest of humor especially if you're strolling down memory lane if you've been around awhile. ;) I don't have an issue with it if the admin and mods don't besides it bumps the topic so maybe the admins will fix it. :cool:
Cool.
Well you can add me to those who can verify it's horrid/unreadable in the dark theme.
I use the blue theme, so fortunately I'm not affected.
I did try different browsers as well. Chromium & Firefox both the same.

Dark theme colours are terrible making things elegible, using the normal dark theme not the test versions.

This still an issue.

I've found a quickfix solution using the Stylish browser extension in combination with the existing dark theme:

CSS:
code {
    background-color: #555 !important;
}
pre>code {
    background-color: inherit !important;
}

Then click Specify button under Applies to section, select URLs on the domain from the dropdown menu and enter forums.freebsd.org and you're done!

However, as you can see, some other text remains potentially difficult to read. More work is needed to make everything more readable, but it at least fixes the issue with [CMD] tags, which is primarily what you'll be encountering anyway.

Last edited:
I feel and empathize with the pain. I like dark displays. Must be an age related thing... ;)
I had previously found a browser extension for "Text Contrast" but it seemed to make web browser choke.
Some more digging and discovered Midnight Lizard extension. Useful takeaway is Alt+Shift+M to turn off/on.
Sure, it chews up CPU cycles reformatting a page, the browser is a touch slower, and a couple of pages I have to switch off the extension to use. Minor inconvenience with an extension that renders pretty much all other pages consistently dark.

Back