Chromium

Chromium is not that big, the source distfile is stripped down from ~800MB to 132MB.
You don't have to copy the port just download, extract, cd and do a make install clean.

And when chromium will be released on ports will deinstall this or after i will have 2 chrome browsers?
This works fine or stack, bugs, no flash player or no sound on flash player etc?

It's the same port, www/chromium, if it gets in to the ports tree it will be transparent for you.

Flash works better than firefox in a sense, the browser does not hang, no issues with the sound either.

The only problem that i have discovered is some random redraw hiccups now and then.

One more thing is that by installing the alsa-lib port i have issues with the KDE4 installation, more specifically multimedia/kdemultimedia4 port picks the alsa headers at the configuration stage and it fails to build with alsa support.

What stops me from using Chrome 100% is a decent adblock plugin, there is adblock plus but it doesn't work like in firefox. It downloads the adds and hides them, i suspect that this is due to limitations in the plugin mechanism of chrome.

Just installed back devel/icu (took same time as chrome) - problem free.
But this is on -stable. Will try on -current now.

Heh ..
Code:
===>  Cleaning for chromium-5.0.359

===>>> Installation of www/chromium (chromium-5.0.359) complete

FYI, I got it to build by pkg_delete'ing glew (in addition to icu) and then doing 'make clean && make install'. I guess the port also has conflicts with glew from ports.

Adam

Flash should work out of the box when it works in FF. Longer Flash videos tend to freeze on occasion though, but there are more things 'gently freezing' on Chrome from time to time. Usually a few reloads will wake it up again. Do hope they put in some more finer-grained options for e.g. cookie retention and such. And Chrome does not appear to be able to retain passwords for vBulletin sites ..

Flash did not work here by default, though it's worked fine in seamonkey and firefox. I had to create /usr/local/share/chromium/plugins/ and copy the plugins into that directory and before the flash and totem plugins were seen and used.

Adam

Unfortunately Linux flash again is a must. How HTML5 works?
And yes, I just experienced a "freeze" while typing this.
As to passwords there is an option in Options "Offer to save passwords".
Just installed on -current. From scratch: Xorg + a few packages + Chrome. Now it runs on twm. Yesterday installation failed: it was already too messy environment, anyway it should be reinstalled.
BTW I installed Xorg from packages and then had to update only m4 and libSM. There are currently 285 packages here.
I'll install flash now, then gnome2-lite.

adamk said:
Flash did not work here by default, though it's worked fine in seamonkey and firefox. I had to create /usr/local/share/chromium/plugins/ and copy the plugins into that directory and before the flash and totem plugins were seen and used.

Adam

Did you choose to import settings from FF? I think that took care of everything.

There is no FF on here. Flash didn't work, I planned to make links but flash began playing itself after reboot. Passwords aren't saved but with FF installed - saving worked.

Hey, I'm the author of the chromium port. adamk, I didn't know about the glew issue, I'll add that to the conflicts. For those with redraw issues, that's addressed in the README on my site. You can set % sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1 to avoid any rendering flakiness, caused by linux/FreeBSD differences in the way SysV shared memory is implemented. As for flash, Chromium looks for plugins in .mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/browser-plugins among other directories. HTML 5 video should work by default on sites like Daily Motion and if you choose the option in the port to compile patented codecs, it'll work for Vimeo and Youtube's HTML 5 players also, that use the patented H.264 codec. btw, the latest subscriber builds also support the new WebM format and VP8 codec. :)

Highly appreciated!
% sysctl kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1
does the trick.
But youtube didn't work until flash got installed.

Anyway it's exciting! When expect in ports?

Many thanks!

no love to chrome from me, just for 'oops there was a problem with displaying page' on some very standart and error-free pages, and for lack of lots of usefull mozilla-plugins, and for visual experience - i really hate the way it look, because it does not fit to my system-wide gtk/qt theme.

Back