Chromium freezing...

I'm updating my ports/packages. Chromium consistently freezes on some websites/pages with the latest version chromium-23.0.1271.97. For instance Okcpuid will freeze a few seconds once I log in.

I've tried a clean install with just xorg and chromium with all default options and still get the same results. I'm not sure if it's just a bug in the new version or some dependency. I updated ports back on Dec-23-2012.

Anyone else having this issue with chromium?

Only thing left to try is to update and recompile ports one more time and if that doesn't work to then try portdowngrade with chromium.

Can you please give some more info, what base system version?

Any other public accessible urls that you can reproduce this?

I'm using RELENG_9_1_0_RELEASE. I'm currently recompiling everything from scratch again in a jail, I'm hoping it's one of it's dependencies. There are no packages yet for 9.1 release so I couldn't try that. I think I'll also recompile from my last old faithful snapshot from back in may. Thank goodness for jails, zfs, and snapshots.

I'll try to find more pages and post tomorrow. Mostly news articles and they are busy pages with lots of scripts, advertisements and long load times.

I'm running Chromium 23.0.1271.97 (171054) on 9.1-RELEASE and have not encountered any problems on any of the sites I frequent. I tried logging into the site you referenced as a guest (I think you meant okcupid) and had no problem with it freezing up.

BlueCoder's problem with chromium applies to me as well. Perhaps "freeze" is not the best term for describing this, as it is possible to open new tabs. It is just that page in one tab does not refresh (e.g when turning radio button on, or submitting a form). It appears to take input, but does not display results. This also renders scrollbar unusable. Strangely, selecting some text on frozen page refreshes selected part.

I am using 9.1-STABLE #0 r245075 amd64 and chromium-24.0.1312.52, no java or flash.

I have the freezing problem as well. Latest Chrome, FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE of a couple of days ago, amd64. Compiled with stock GCC, GCC 4.8, and CLANG. It mostly manifests itself on Google Reader, but then again, I use that site extensively. I've seen problems with Facebook and Google Plus, and these forums, almost always in text box / comment box / edit box types of situations. What appears to be helping, and this is a coincidental and perhaps incomplete finding, is that not running the browser full-screen (which is what I usually do) seems to mitigate the problem for now. I remember that earlier (pre v. 10 or so) versions of Chrome had that problem, and that you needed sem to get rid of it. Even though sem is now on by default, it still reminds me of that old "screen refresh / update" problem.

And, of course, the moment I post this, Google Reader freezes. So it's not that. I do maintain it's a screen refresh / update issue. On Google Reader, the freeze always happens while scrolling.

I am experiencing www/chromium freezes also. Some sites include fidelity.com, nfl.com, bloomberg.com, play.google.com and (gasp!) the FreeBSD forums. I have FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE amd64 installed.

My freezes started after I updated Chromium to 24.0.1312.52, but since I also started using a new install of x11-wm/enlightenment about that same time I thought the freezing might be related to bugs in that. I never had any freezing with Chromium v23 running under x11-wm/awesome.

Tomorrow I'll switch back to x11-wm/awesome and see if I still have freezing.

This is another issue, set kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

I have a patch which resolves this when kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed is not set but we are still testing it, it will hit the ports soon.

Nevertheless you should leave the kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1 for performance reasons, just try to scroll fast on a heavy site with and without it and see the difference.

Just to add my name to the record. Started happening when I built chromium (24.0.1312.52) on a new KDE4 install:

Code:
sim@TMA1> uname -a
FreeBSD TMA1 9.1-STABLE FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE #1 r245551: Thu Jan 17 23:03:13 UTC 2013     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TMA1  amd64

This is part of a fresh build on a replacement HD. The old HD had a similar configuration but the OS and chromium would have been a couple of weeks older, no problems.

Main symptom is text fields appear to freeze (like now!) for the best part of a minute. Sometimes it appears to be accompanied by rendering glitches but it's hard to pin down what's going on. Can't really type much more at the moment without seeing what I'm typing!

sim

thuglife said:
This is another issue, set kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

Interesting, wasn't this the default until (and explicitly asked to be removed) around Chrome 10 or so?

Still freezing. But Opera is growing on me. And my symptom is definitely freezing, I can't do anything else in Chromium once it happens. I can switch to another app and come back and it won't repaint.

I tried tried kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1 in sysctl.conf and loader.conf and it doesn't do anything for me.

It's something in the scripting of the page. I can stop the page load and read the page just fine. If I block scripting from the page it's fine.

I have no problem with latest chromium compiled with gcc46 on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE i386.

Added in /etc/sysctl.conf
Code:
# Enable shm_allow_removed
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

Today's update made chromium completely unusable for me.
After a while it just presents a blank page. I can still blindly click links but everything is just white.
Closing and restarting chromium doesn't fix the issue. Not even restarting the xserver.
After this happens other programs may become unusable as well. LyX gets corrupted toolbars and menus.

cpu82 said:
I have no problem with latest chromium compiled with gcc46 on FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE i386.

Added in /etc/sysctl.conf
Code:
# Enable shm_allow_removed
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1

I applied this change yesterday and *so far* haven't experienced any more problems. Perhaps a little soon to be conclusive but fingers crossed.

sim said:
I applied this change yesterday and *so far* haven't experienced any more problems. Perhaps a little soon to be conclusive but fingers crossed.

Current chromium release fixes both issues, shows no functional abnormality.

From description report:
Update to 24.0.1312.56

This release also fixes performance of mouse wheel scrolling (crbug 160122)
and a regression with visited links (crbug 160025).
Security: http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/8d03202c-6559-11e2-a389-00262d5ed8ee.html

Current Chrome is working fine; reverted to
Code:
kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=0
(the default)

DutchDaemon said:
Current Chrome is working fine; reverted to
Code:
(the default)

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&sortby=date&revision=310861

The issue got resolved but you should leave kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1 if you care about ui rendering performance.

There's also a post-install message about that, to be clear, with the sysctl unset chrome will work the same as it used to. If you set it to 1 there are performance gains.

After setting
Code:
I haven't experienced freeze in 8 hours, still compiling new version.

pacija said:
From bad to worse... screenshot is not photo manipulated :)

http://i48.tinypic.com/205jdu.jpg

Had same problem caused for enable improve shared memory variable, need change this value:
Code:

Change your shared memory limits and see if issue persists:
Code:
kern.ipc.shmall=131072
kern.ipc.shmmni=1024
kern.ipc.shmseg=1024

Didn't notice I need to revert kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed back to 0, hence my post where I say "...(after setting)... to 0" is not correct, and it should have been "...(after setting)... to 1".

So, I removed relevant line from sysctl.conf, set value back to 0 and wait to see what happens.

My current kern.ipc.shm* are as follows:
Code:
kern.ipc.shmall: 131072
kern.ipc.shmseg: 1024
kern.ipc.shmmni: 1024

Back