Solved Chromium 43.0.2357.65 crashing in settings

Thought I'd add an update. A user has offered some patches to PR 200601 taken from OpenBSD that adds some OS checks. I patched www/chromium and rebuilt it on 10-STABLE. So far it seems to work well. Also just to be clear the patches have not officially been accepted and PR 200601 is still open.

Hello protocelt,

I sincerely thank you for this update. I look forward to this making it's way into ports, where I'll build it from source and report back.

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave

Hello protocelt,

I sincerely thank you for this update. I look forward to this making its way into ports, where I'll build it from source and report back.

Thank you very much for your efforts!

Dave
You're welcome, but I didn't create the patches. I only tested them. ;)

But Chromium (43.x) still has two annoying bugs:
- Chromecast doesn't work (Chromium just says "No Cast devices found.", but it works from other devices (Android and so on)
- After running for a while (a few hours) Chromium leaves a process behind when quitting the program, this process uses 100% of one core of my cpu. I have to use kill -QUIT <PID #> to get rid of it.

Anyone else seeing this?

I appreciate all the help everyone has given. I know there are other Chromium fans out there. I am no longer one of them.

I used Chromium for it's embedded HTML5 player, which the latest version of Firefox includes. So on my system I have removed flash, nspluginwrapper, and all of the Linux-C6 stuff required to make flash work...HTML for me, is a better video experience.

All my news sites, and YouTube works wonderfully without flash now.

I heard loud and clear in this thread that Chromium has become very difficult to maintain. As a retired coder, I know what that looks like in terms of raw man hours to hunt down. I can't ask a set of FreeBSD volunteers to go through hell like that. I know they will, for others...And they deserve a lot of praise and thanks as a result.

For me, I'm going to stick with Firefox, and see if Midori matures.

I'll mark this thread solved when a patch does come out and is confirmed to work...so that others still have a thread to follow.............

Dave

Unfortunately, the updated port doesn't build for me:
I even tried with MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes
Code:
root@kg-core1# make clean
===>  Cleaning for chromium-43.0.2357.130
root@kg-core1# MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes make
but it fails here:
Code:
[4557/16858] RULE Generating C++ code from bluetooth_private.json json files
FAILED: cd ../../extensions/common/api; python ../../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py "bluetooth_private.json" "--root=../../.." "--destdir=../../../out/Release/gen" "--namespace=extensions::core_api::%(namespace)s" "--generator=cpp" "--include-rules="
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py", line 191, in <module>
  opts.namespace, opts.impl_dir, include_rules)
  File "../../../tools/json_schema_compiler/compiler.py", line 128, in GenerateSchema
  code = generator.Generate(namespace).Render()
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/h_generator.py", line 17, in Generate
  return _Generator(namespace, self._type_generator).Generate()
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/h_generator.py", line 56, in Generate
  .Cblock(self._type_helper.GenerateIncludes())
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/cpp_type_generator.py", line 163, in GenerateIncludes
  for namespace, dependencies in self._NamespaceTypeDependencies().items():
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/cpp_type_generator.py", line 208, in _NamespaceTypeDependencies
  hard=not prop.optional)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/cpp_type_generator.py", line 231, in _TypeDependencies
  deps.add(_TypeDependency(self._FindType(type_.ref_type), hard=hard))
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/cpp_type_generator.py", line 175, in _FindType
  self._default_namespace)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/schema_loader.py", line 76, in ResolveType
  namespace = self.ResolveNamespace(full_namespace)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/schema_loader.py", line 64, in ResolveNamespace
  self.LoadSchema(filepath)[0],
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/schema_loader.py", line 90, in LoadSchema
  api_defs = idl_schema.Load(schema_path)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/idl_schema.py", line 525, in Load
  return Process(contents, filename)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/idl_schema.py", line 535, in Process
  idl = idl_parser.IDLParser().ParseData(contents, filename)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/../../ppapi/generators/idl_parser.py", line 906, in __init__
  IDLLexer.__init__(self)
  File "/usr/ports/www/chromium/work/chromium-43.0.2357.130/tools/json_schema_compiler/../../ppapi/generators/idl_lexer.py", line 215, in __init__
  self.lexobj = lex.lex(object=self, lextab=None, optimize=0)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ply/lex.py", line 893, in lex
  if '.' not in lextab:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
*** [do-build] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/chromium.
*** [stage] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/chromium.
This is on
Code:
tingo@kg-core1$ uname -a
FreeBSD kg-core1.kg4.no 9.3-STABLE FreeBSD 9.3-STABLE #0 r273918: Fri Oct 31 22:52:44 CET 2014
  root@kg-core1.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
And yes, I checked that Python is built with SEM=on:
Code:
root@kg-core1# cd /usr/ports/lang/python27
root@kg-core1# make showconfig
===> The following configuration options are available for python27-2.7.9_1:
  DEBUG=off: Build with debugging support
  IPV6=on: IPv6 protocol support
  LIBFFI=on: Use libffi from ports instead of bundled version
  NLS=on: Enable gettext support for the locale module
  PYMALLOC=on: Enable specialized mallocs
  SEM=on: POSIX semaphores support
  THREADS=on: Threading support
====> Unicode support: you have to select exactly one of them
  UCS2=off: Enable UCS2 Unicode Strings
  UCS4=on: Enable UCS4 Unicode Strings
===> Use 'make config' to modify these settings
Anything else I can do?

This might be related to the update of py27-ply from 3.4 to 3.6; restoring 3.4 worked for me.
Finally found time to try this - yes, with py27-ply-3.4 installed, Chromium builds (and installs) without problem. Is there a bug report for this?

Back