China's Kylin OS

It appears to be a RH-derivative, Linux 2.4. But it's not sure whether that is the actual 'super OS' Kylin, or just a smokescreen ...

Not really, look closely at the uname that's posted. It has that distinctly freebsd "#0" in there. AFAIK none of the linux distros have that.

My bets are on Freebsd with linux_base-fc4 :e

Hmmm... Does anyone have a chinese proxy? The links there refuse to connect :(

It wouldn't start all the way under qemu (~3/4 of the progress bar in on the graphical spash screen, cant' figure out how to disable that yet). It really looks a LOT like (heavily modified) FreeBSD starting from grub, including the twiddly bar |/-\|/-\ . . .

And , of course, the halt where I suspect it is probing disks, just like it does with FreeBSD under qemu. (insert wry smiley here, if you're that sort of person).

awesome, can ask the developers to join FreeBSD devel team lol

anyone have link to download kylin 3 iso ?

fronclynne said:
It wouldn't start all the way under qemu (~3/4 of the progress bar in on the graphical spash screen, cant' figure out how to disable that yet). It really looks a LOT like (heavily modified) FreeBSD starting from grub, including the twiddly bar |/-\|/-\ . . .

And , of course, the halt where I suspect it is probing disks, just like it does with FreeBSD under qemu. (insert wry smiley here, if you're that sort of person).

It IS (not only looks like) modified FreeBSD

kylin-2.x OS kernel is released under BSD License

Kylin is a server operating system project funded by National 863 High Technology Program in China. The target of Kylin is to support several kinds of server platforms, to achieve high performance, high availability and high security, as well as conforming to international standards of Unix and Linux operating systems.
Now kylin-2.x OS kernel is released under BSD License. Please visit http://code.google.com/p/kylin-2/ to get more info.

eyeinthesky said:
Now kylin-2.x OS kernel is released under BSD License.
That's not allowed:
The Kylin software is distributed under the following terms:

Copyright (C) 2002-2005 The Kylin Project. All rights reserved.
The operating system kernel included in Kylin Releases is
copyrighted by the National University of Defence Technology.

Copyright 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
National University of Defence Technology. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source forms, with or without modification,
are NOT permitted.

Looks like they removed the code from the website. The original code drop had a lot of weird modifications to the original license texts in the source files, which were in violation of the original copyright statements.

Ok. Please explain why I would want to build a Chinese knockoff when I can run the real deal.

roddierod said:
To be a good global citizen.

And get some rootkit pre-installed so the Chinese government (or eyeinthesky) can (ab)use my connection?
I don't think so. I'll stick to the official repository, thank you very much.

Where the hell did eyeinthesky come from? Start talking about kylin and whammo here he is doing his kylin thing. Vewwy vewwy intewesting.

LateNiteTV said:
Start talking about kylin and whammo here he is doing his kylin thing.

Probably just an attentive project maintainer. I've noticed freebsd.org (including the forums, of course) tends to show up very prominently on google searches. ATM, a "kylin os" query lands this thread on the first page of hits.

hi

I see no reason to change, since we have three armegos FreeBSD OpenBSD and NetBSD, they are more than enough, but still we need windows for playing games and testing on ie6.

Back