Solved Checking for empty directory

I was looking for a way to check whether a directory was empty and came across this page.... too many options - what would anyone suggest?

I thought there may be some simple option like:-
if [ ! -x "$1" ]; then
but I don't know the name of this construct so can't look at a manpage for it...

I was looking for a way to check whether a directory was empty and came across this page.... too many options - what would anyone suggest?

I thought there may be some simple option like:-
if [ ! -x "$1" ]; then
but I don't know the name of this construct so can't look at a manpage for it...
Replace -x with -d.

Many of the options discussed there are outright wrong, unsafe, or insane. Unfortunately, there is no ideal option.

I thought there may be some simple option like: "if [ ! -x "$1" ]; then"
Unfortunately, there is no single-character option in the test command that does this. One might think that the "-s" option (which tests for zero-size / non-zero-size) should work, but it doesn't.

SirDice's advice is the easiest option to look it up. But it is not 100% correct. If you say "if [...]" in the shell, traditionally that ran the [ executable (no joke, there is an executable whose name is a single opening square bracket), which was identical to the test command, which has a man page like SirDice said. However, modern shells (definitely true for bash, probably also true for tcsh) no longer run the external command for these statements, and instead use a built-in implementation of test. The good news is that the built-in versions are probably supersets of the test command ... but probably isn't certainty. The other good news is that the man pages for the shell do document the built-in versions of the test. The bad news is that the man pages for bash and tcsh are so insanely long that finding the test in there takes a lot of patience. If I had nothing useful to do, I could look up the Posix standard, but I have a day job.

OK, now finally a useful suggestion. I don't know an easy way to do it within the shell. But the find command has a simple option to check whether a directory is empty. So here is something that works: Run "find directory_name -type d -prune -empty". It will return the directory name if that directory is empty, and will return nothing if there is something in that directory. Because of the "-prune" option in it, it is both correct, and reasonably efficient. I don't even know whether better efficiency is possible in general; the implementation of how directories work is file-system specific, and many file systems store deleted entries in a directory block, so a length check is not always correct.

I've found that find /somepath -d 0 -type d -empty will print /somepath if it is empty, but displays nothing if it is not empty , but don't know how to catch that in a script.

string=`execute find command`
if [ -z $string` ]
then ...

The first line puts the result of the find command in a string. The second one tests whether the resulting string is zero length. You can get rid of the intermediate step, by doing:
if [ -z `execute find command` ] ...
but personally I find that less readable.

By the way, don't believe what I wrote here. Check the documentation. For example, it's quite possible that -z works the opposite way (it may test for non-zero length, not for zero length); I'm going from memory.

Here's what I'm sticking with:-
Code:
if ! [ -z `find /some/path -d 0 -type d -empty` ]; then
    echo empty
fi

Thanks to those making suggestions.

Two alternatives:

Use $(( $(stat -f %z "$1") - 2)) for entry count - but not very cross-platform. Or (perhaps problematic with huge directories):

Code:
EmptyDir()
 {
        local   d
        for d in "${1}"/* "${1}"/.*; do
                [ -e "$d" ] && return 1
        done
        return 0
 }

for i in "$@"; do
    printf "$i:"; EmptyDir "$i" && echo "empty" || echo "populated"
done