cd to sub-folder on Flash using Script

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iic2

Hello,

I'm new to freeBSD ... After two weeks of googling the world to learn (how-to and why nots) freeBSD now installed. The best tips I got was to backup configuration files. I was having a BALL :e

I manage to write a few basic script for moving around the system and now I am stuck. I am trying to cd from /root/bin to a sub-folder on my flash drive and all I get is an image of all the files in sub-folder never while never leaving the root bin. Could someone show me what i'm doing wrong?

#! /bin/sh
cd /flash
cd bsd_backup
cd bsd_conf
ls

Thanks in advance

When you run it like "./script" - child process /bin/sh created and it executes script. So it changes directory only for itself, not for parent process. But if you run it like "source ./script" - then it will be executed by your current shell (if it's sh-compatible) and directory will be changed as you expected.

why don't you just use
Code:
ls /flash/bsd_backup/bsd_conf

That's way too efficient! There are plenty of people who will happily type

Code:
cd /var
cd db
cd ports
cd apache
cat options | more

And they look quite happy. Oblivious, even.

I forgot to mention I'm running freeBSD 7.1 stable using default shell and ee. My scripts are design to delete, copy and open files. "Chmod 700 uhistory" - "rehash" They all fire-up like this "uhistory" with nothing else needed. But it don't work for my "GoTo_b" script posted above. cd to top-level folder works fine. cd into it sub-folder, difficult and nothing on the net about it.

gelraen, after such a excellent explanation i'm embarrass. What do I write in the place of source ??? "source ./_GoTo_b"

lme@, didn't know ls could replace cd and list the files too from that order. But still I take from your suggestion that what I am trying to do may not be possible or is unknown. Is this correct? If so, at lease you provided the next best thing :)

DutchDaemon, Type ee (space) double click to select script, left click to paste and Walla. My guest; on any job it's their way or no way. Most *UNIX* people have worked in the industry so long they turn it into fun and competition.

vermaden, that was the very first sequence I tried and it still only re-open the bin that it is called from. Now I wonder is it all about which version is in use or what shell is running.

I appreciate the help

Sorry, "source" command available only in bash. In sh this can be done like ". /path/to/script"

Small example:
Code:
$ cat ./whereami
#!/bin/sh
hostname
$ . ./whereami
imax

And for this you don't need execution privilege on script, just reading will be enough.

Thanks gelraen, I still don't understand. I am truly a newbee. But your code tells me it's time to hit the docs :) I just need to know if these are the right ones.

For now i'm reading *Practical rc.d scripting in BSD*: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/rc-scripting/

Than I'm going to study PERL. PERL is king right or has it been replaced?
Do I have to study BASH too :(

Hope I can be an productive member someday. I'll stay tune for any advice and I'll say now:

Thanks Everybody

Perl is still the Swiss army chainsaw ;)

Lots of people are using python though, just use what you're most comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back