CD of 8.1

I have looked but cannot seem to find a answer. I have two questions about 8.1 install media.

1. Why does 8.1 only have one install CD.

2. Does the doc install not install the FreeBSD handbook to /usr/share/doc/handbook? What I have read in the handbook and on forums says that it does I do not see the handbook anywhere on the DVD/CD

Thanks for any help

sizemj said:
Why does 8.1 only have one install CD.
Hmm, because it doesn't need more? The install fits in less than 300 MB maybe.

sizemj said:
Does the doc install not install the FreeBSD handbook to /usr/share/doc/handbook? What I have read in the handbook and on forums says that it does I do not see the handbook anywhere on the DVD/CD
It's available on disc1 and the DVD as packages (e.g. en-freebsd-doc-blabla.tbz), so you install it like you do any other package (i.e. using pkg_add(1)).

I see, I did not know that the handbook was a package. I just see that on older version of FreeBSD there are more than one CD. I guess that answers my questions.

Ah, yes. Documentation - books (including the Handbook) and articles - weren't packaged in the past. That's a post-7.x thing.
Same goes with the number of discs. Pre-7.x releases used to have 3 disks, part of the first was for the base installation and all 3 contained software packages. Post-7.x, all software packages were removed and documentation packages were added, so the only thing left was disc1. Software packages are still available on the DVD though.

Back