case/MB/RAM/CPU/PSU <-- all compatible?

dvl@

Developer
I want to put together a box for testing purposes. Nothing much in terms of power, but just able to run FreeBSD and let me try various things with ZFS etc. I already have the HDD.

I've put together a list and would like a sanity test (e.g. that CPU matches that motherboard, etc.).
The CPU and RAM are sold as a combo.

Untested, but I would expect the processor and CPU to be fine, including KMS. These power supplies have worked nicely for me, they're high efficiency and quiet:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182261

Just this morning, I saw a shill review for a Team USB memory stick (compare the wording to the vendor description elsewhere), my only experience with that brand, but it makes me leery of them. Crucial and Corsair have worked for me, and I think Mushkin (it's been a while).

I just added in new RAM. I thought I did that last night, but clearly that failed.

Yeah, that's the big thing... the LAN ports won't always work, and I can't tell from the specs what NIC they are using.

I've looked at both the D3H and UD5H motherboards. The D3H has a 1xAtheros GbE LAN and the UD5H has a 1xIntel GbE LAN and a 1xAtheros GbE LAN. IIRC from my research, the Atheros GbE LAN on both motherboards uses the AR8021 chipset, although I cannot find the citations right now to confirm that. I'll keep looking.

@drhowarddrfine, correct me if I'm wrong, but on your UD5H motherboard, isn't it the Intel LAN port that does work and the Atheros LAN port that does not work with FreeBSD-9.2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, probably, but untested. If it were me, I'd plan on using an Intel PCIe card if the onboard didn't work, and hounding whoever is working on the Atheros code.

I'll be happy to give anyone access to this box in order to get the NICs running, if required.

The order was placed on Friday. I went with a different CPU. Higher wattage, but cheaper, and in stock.

Back