Solved Can't use Shotcut and Kdenlive with Gpu Acceleration Enabled they crash ! On the other hand openshot uses mlt succesfully and has gpu acceleration !!!

Added this to the driver-nvidia.conf file and didn't work either, seems like glx is not loading:

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

I may have found the issue, this laptop actually uses and integrated intel GPU if I am not wrong, I removed all nvidia stuff from loader.conf and rc.conf and the laptop boots with a better resolution now and with a mouse pointer on the screen but only shows:

ugen0.4: <ELAN Touchscreen> at usbus0
ugen0.4: <ELAN Touchscreen> at usbus0 (disconnected)

And the above message keeps repeating forever, this error I got it when I tried to install GhostBSD, if you press enter you can actually see it at a login prompt which I can use to modify the files again to be able to the X interface.

I'll keep it until this point due to Trident being not supported in this forum but I may be able to fix this from here.

Now i have no problem running shotcut or kdenlive (i found what i did wrong)
But these apps won't work if i enable gpu acceleration !!!
Openshot works fine with gpu acceleration and has pretty good performance while kdenlive/shotcut suffers with gpu acceleration disabled !!
I miss these apps on freebsd !

I have no issues at all either, I know what I did wrong, I installed Trident 😅🤣 on FreeBSD 12.0 both programs run smoothly.

Have you tried them with gpu acceleration enabled ???
On shotcut you must edit a file and switch gpu to true.
On kdenlive you enable gpu acceleration via kdenlive settings.
Have you really tried these applications with gpu acceleration enabled ???

I have no issues at all either, I know what I did wrong, I installed Trident 😅🤣 on FreeBSD 12.0 both programs run smoothly.

Video/photo editing graphics on FreeBSD is highly dependent on video hardware, and requires per-setup analysis. In short - it may not be easy. But, there are a few video editing suites that do not require special hardware compatibility. First is Blender, second is Natron. Both of those can be run w/o any GPU OpenGL/CL involvement.

I use Blender to edit videos on FreeBSD all the time. Downside is that it's slower (naturally, with no GPU boost) to finish edits. I just grab a coffee and look at the news.

- Ron

Another note I could make is relative to importing video files. To get around the import issue, you could convert to mjpeg and use that as your base format. All my cameras already supply that format, so I never have the need to do conversions. Blender gets along well with mjpeg, as do most other suites (after all it's just concatenated jpeg images, 30 per second). Mjpeg has fantastic dynamic range (comes from the jpeg) - so is OK to use as a base.

Also, MJPEG has a much more open source atmosphere. There never was a patent on mjpeg, per se' - because it's too obvious (altho - I can't believe the PTO wouldn't have done it anyway LOL). As for jpeg itself, all encumberment has expired (even 2000 stuff).

On linux for example using shotcut I can create a video with many background or foreground transparent 1080p (or 4k) video tracks and a vast number of processing demanding effects !
A project of mine lately used 5 video tracks, color effects, transparency, masks, chroma key and many other effects 1080p and the preview was smooth as a video player!
On FreeBSD using kdenlive for example I have very bad performance I can't even preview normally the video I make cause I can't enable GPU accelerated effects because something is incompatible.
But Openshot works great on FreeBSD with very good performance.
You need some basic tools on an operating system and on freebsd only openshot worked fine and seemed to have gpu acceleration.
I believe the problem is with the mlt framework port to freebsd something is broken .....

Video/photo editing graphics on FreeBSD is highly dependent on video hardware, and requires per-setup analysis. In short - it may not be easy. But, there are a few video editing suites that do not require special hardware compatibility. First is Blender, second is Natron. Both of those can be run w/o any GPU OpenGL/CL involvement.

I use Blender to edit videos on FreeBSD all the time. Downside is that it's slower (naturally, with no GPU boost) to finish edits. I just grab a coffee and look at the news.

- Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried them with gpu acceleration enabled ???
On shotcut you must edit a file and switch gpu to true.
On kdenlive you enable gpu acceleration via kdenlive settings.
Have you really tried these applications with gpu acceleration enabled ???

I am quite busy with other stuff and playing on my spare time with FreeBSD, I'll have to see more about this as most likely I am not even loading the right driver for my intel integrated controller but as I go along I'll post more info here.

I know man !
I have recently started to learn FreeBSD.
I started with linux (slackware) at 1999 after a month or two I was able to compile my own kernel. Now Linux is too mainstream for me and has a ton of proprietary software which are very tempting. I want to support free software and use only free software as much as I can! Of course on FreeBSD not every application works like they do on Linux, I have faced a lot of problems with applications, I don't know how wise it is to use FreeBSD for the desktop cause there are some inconveniences some software that I'm gonna going to miss other applications that will not run correctly etc.

I am quite busy with other stuff and playing on my spare time with FreeBSD, I'll have to see more about this as most likely I am not even loading the right driver for my intel integrated controller but as I go along I'll post more info here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video editing on linux can't be compared even with the best proprietary windows software from big companies like adobe for example sony vegas adobe premiere , adobe after effects they all suck !
On shotcut for example with hardware acceleration on you can have many 1080p 60fps video tracks as transparent for backgrounds plus color change effect plus distortion effects and they all can be previewed smooth as hell even with a potato pc , on big companies with powerful computer that has these software you get laggy preview 1fps if you are lucky ! very shitty performance even with high end graphics cards, cpus . I'm enjoying creating videos on linux.
I don't know what is the problem with these video editors i would be glad if someone could test if they work and try importing a random file for example a trailer he can download from youtube .
Hey, if you used Linux before, you might have heard the maxim: "Tell a Programmer what x can't do and y can, and he may prove you very wrong." :) I'm a Linux and *BSD user myself (openSUSE and Debian, among other Distros as well as OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD and it's derivations), and also use Windows. So I know your frustration, believe me. FreeBSD is great as a general purpose Operating System, though it was designed to be for the Server. Just tell us what exactly is wrong. :) We're not mean here. :D So, you mentioned problems with Codecs. Tell me: what Desktop Environment are you using? I ask this because, just like Linux, each DE has it's own Display Settings menu item. From there, if you can see the Refresh Rate being 40 or 60, then that's a good indicator of what Hardware is being recognized on the Display side of things. Start there, and we might be able to help you. :)

One of my problems has to do with the mlt framework used by shotcut and kdenlive.
On openshot i have no problem at all and performance is very good i can do very processing demanding tasks something that indicates i have gpu acceleration on openshot.
But when i'm trying to enable gpu acceleration on kdenlive or shotcut it doesn't work the application crashes !
I have tested using an nvidia graphics card and then using an amd graphics card, i have the same problem on both.
Its the codecs? something is missing ? i don't have a clue

Hey, if you used Linux before, you might have heard the maxim: "Tell a Programmer what x can't do and y can, and he may prove you very wrong." :) I'm a Linux and *BSD user myself (openSUSE and Debian, among other Distros as well as OpenBSD, NetBSD, and FreeBSD and it's derivations), and also use Windows. So I know your frustration, believe me. FreeBSD is great as a general purpose Operating System, though it was designed to be for the Server. Just tell us what exactly is wrong. :) We're not mean here. :D So, you mentioned problems with Codecs. Tell me: what Desktop Environment are you using? I ask this because, just like Linux, each DE has it's own Display Settings menu item. From there, if you can see the Refresh Rate being 40 or 60, then that's a good indicator of what Hardware is being recognized on the Display side of things. Start there, and we might be able to help you. :)

Its like i'm the only one that tried to actually use these applications cause I don't see other posts on the forum.
If someone tried to actually use (personal or professional use) these pieces of software they should find the same problems.
At least I can rely on openshot and for simple jobs editing only without many effects or layers I can use shotcut and kdenlive.
But the performance is what is good with shotcut , on adobe after effects or premiere you can't even preview the video
See the youtuber linus with his monster pc with 3 graphics cards and high end processor trying to preview a simple video project on adobe …. he failed completely .
PS1: I have installed so many times on my pc that i have become an expert , i like freebsd installer its very helpful that it configures the wireless adapter/networks that helps
a lot. Also install freebsd seems very easy and the desktop feels more snappier more faster than linux.

I tried to use Kdenlive and Shotcut on FreeBSD12, both crashes on opening video file.
Building from ports with any option wont help.
Perhaps this is due qt4 to qt5 packages transition, but when I googled I found few years old same issue for Kdenlive on FreeBSD
So this is something broken for a long time.
Cinelerra is worked for me as well as Olive

I don't say that it isn't work they work just fine !
But with the gpu acceleration disabled !!!
If i enable gpu acceleration on shotcut and kdenlive both they crash after i try to import a video
On the other hand Openshot is doing perfect with gpu acceleration and video editing/preview seems to be very fast why mlt framework works with openshot and not for the other two ?

kdenlive and shotcut should work.
[At least I have no problem with a Radeon card]

Olive is in the ports !

I tried to use Kdenlive and Shotcut on FreeBSD12, both crashes on opening video file.
Building from ports with any option wont help.
Perhaps this is due qt4 to qt5 packages transition, but when I googled I found few years old same issue for Kdenlive on FreeBSD
So this is something broken for a long time.
Cinelerra is worked for me as well as Olive

Olive is in the ports but it won't work it crashes all the time . I have reported the bug with kdenlive and gpu acceleration so i guess someone who maintain kdenlive would fix that .

I want to thank the people that helps with porting to FreeBSD!
1/4/2019 i made this post and have fixed everything ! after only some months !
Kdenlive works with gpu acceleration enabled (more stable than linux i can say lol)
Shotcut works fine with gpu acceleration enabled
Olive works fine now ! When i made the post olive couldn't work at all !
-Also my Asus Ryzen cpu/Vega gpu laptop works very nice on FreeBSD everything works !
They did a fantastic job , now i can see FreeBSD as a Desktop OS now...i already made it my daily driver.

-The only thing that is a bit annoying is the slow pkg download speed + downloading may pause for a while + sometimes pkg update takes a while.

1603545244752.png

Back