Can't start Postgrey

ShelLuser said:
I get a very strong feeling that maybe the problem was caused by not following UPDATING while upgrading several ports.

Because I'm also using postgrey on all my servers and I don't have this problem. Even the server which I installed first, now several months ago, has seen many updates (including the recent Perl update) yet it still runs postgrey without any problems or modifications what so ever.

Therefore I can only conclude that this has nothing to do with Postgrey but the environment it runs on. So changing the way Perl gets executed doesn't fix a thing here; it only hides some (severe?) problems on your system.

+1 to that.

Did you follow the directions under /usr/ports/UPDATING?

You guys are probably correct and that is, there probably is a problem with my server currently. All was well with it until I upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1 a few months ago.

Over the years this server has gone through many changes such as...UFS to ZFS, unencrypted to encrypted and to having many many more ports installed. I kind of think of it as a Frankenstein server now hah.

Anyway, as you can see in my hardware post I am planning on buying (and building) a new FreeBSD server in the coming months. I am just waiting for the Haswell Xeon E3 1230 v3 CPU to be come available and then it will be all systems go.

I've been running my first (and only) FreeBSD server on an oldish second hand desktop and now that I use my server so much (and host a friends email on it too) it has become too important to me (and others) to run on such old second hand kit.

I look forward to the new build!

I just upgraded my 9.3 jail running exim, postfix and postgrey and hit the same issue, but probably a different cause.
This jail only has binary packages and is somewhat more minimal
Code:
[root@mail /var/log]# pkg info
bash-4.3.42_1                  The GNU Project's Bourne Again SHell
db47-4.7.25.4                  The Berkeley DB package, revision 4.7
db5-5.3.28_3                   The Oracle Berkeley DB, revision 5.3
dovecot-1.2.17_6               Secure and compact IMAP and POP3 servers
exim-4.87                      High performance MTA for Unix systems on the Internet
gettext-0.19.7                 GNU gettext meta package
gettext-runtime-0.19.7         GNU gettext runtime libraries and programs
gettext-tools-0.19.7           GNU gettext development and translation tools
icu-55.1                       International Components for Unicode (from IBM)
indexinfo-0.2.4                Utility to regenerate the GNU info page index
libiconv-1.14_9                Character set conversion library
libidn-1.31                    Internationalized Domain Names command line tool
p5-BerkeleyDB-0.55_1           Perl5 interface to the Berkeley DB package
p5-Digest-HMAC-1.03_1          Perl5 interface to HMAC Message-Digest Algorithms
p5-IO-Multiplex-1.13_1         IO::Multiplex - Manage IO on many file handles
p5-IO-Socket-INET6-2.72_1      Perl module with object interface to AF_INET6 domain sockets
p5-IO-Socket-IP-0.37           Drop-in replacement for IO::Socket::INET supporting IPv4 and IPv6
p5-Net-DNS-1.05_1,1            Perl5 interface to the DNS resolver, and dynamic updates
p5-Net-Server-2.008_1          Configurable base class for writing internet servers in Perl
p5-NetAddr-IP-4.078            Work with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and subnets
p5-Parse-Syslog-1.10_1         Perl5 routines that present a simple interface to parse syslog files
p5-Socket-2.021                Networking constants and support functions
p5-Socket6-0.27                IPv6 related part of the C socket.h defines and structure manipulators
pcre-8.38_1                    Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
perl5-5.20.3_12                Practical Extraction and Report Language
pkg-1.7.2                      Package manager
postfix-3.1.0,1                Secure alternative to widely-used Sendmail
postgrey-1.36                  Greylisting policy server for Postfix

In my case it was because the jail does not have a localhost interface. For some reason the old postgrey would run, but the new one will not.

The solution which appears to have worked was to modify /etc/rc.conf from
Code:
postgrey_enable="YES"
to
Code:
postgrey_enable="YES"
postgrey_flags="--inet=192.168.1.2:10023"

Hopefully this help someone else with the same problem that lands here from google...

Back