Solved Can't Start mysql80 server on FreeBSD 13.2

Understand about service mysql-server statusbut ps takes less typing. I have read

you're not supposed to mix ports and packages
But at the point I would dance with the devil

My essentially deleting /var/db/mysql I was able to follow SirDice

Make sure /var/db/mysql/ is completely empty, a rm -rf /var/db/mysql/* doesn't remove 'hidden' files.

I have Mysql back up all though my postfix and dovecot are crippled I am assuming that is a permission problem.... Based on progress so far should take one another day or so.. If I succeed I might address the dreaded post vs pkg issue.

Last edited:
The saga continues
I deleted my mysql as installed by pkg . I reinstalled from past after checking the configure on the ports
seems to have worked BUT postfix remains dead and who knows what else). New to have mysql 8 installed but mail is dead
the general complaint in the error messages is that mysql dictionary type is unsupported hmmm
ok understanding the 1) shouldn't install from ports and pkgs 2) apparently the mysql pkg installation doesn't support postfix 3) reinstalled the basic and simple mantra is SirDices

Make sure /var/db/mysql/ is completely empty, a rm -rf /var/db/mysql/* doesn't remove 'hidden' files.

The best way I found to do that was to rm the mysql directory after making a backup

my mysql prompts is a little wierd. I logged on as root (another no no_. and it is

(unknown)@localhost [(none)]>

Why you doesn't delete the all mysql directories under /var/db and let the mysql rc script to create it again for you but you are trying to empty only the files inside it?

The best way I found to do that was to rm the mysql directory after making a backupI
I did now I cn go to the postfix community ad get help trying to figure how the upgrade broke that

mysql dictionary type is unsupported
From googling, it would seem that error message means postfix wasn't built with mysql support? See e.g. this answer on serverfault.com:
It says you can run postconf -m and the output should include "mysql" if it actually was built with mysql support.

my mysql prompts is a little wierd. I logged on as root (another no no_. and it is
(unknown)@localhost [(none)]>
That does look a bit weird. Logging in as root is fine, though. (Or at least I do that all the time, and I'm a DBA :) )

I think the prompt indicates you're logged in to MySQL without a recognised user somehow. To make sure, if you run the mysql command status; (<-- note the semi-colon) then one of the lines in the output should say what the current user is.

Little background: I have had this server going for over 15 years. updating as I went along. With less customers. I haven't been as dedicated keeping it up to date. I was having a problem with BIND and it was pointed out that my OS (which was 13.1) was EOL. So I installed 13.2 on top of that and instead of waiting I also upgraded MySQL to 8 since 5.7 was approaching EOL (as I am too). This essentially killed my DNS MySQL and my mail services. The is long winded way of saying that this installation had worked till Thursday

Iong my travels along the way with DuckDuckGo. I found this

\https://serverfault.com/questions/803824/dovecot-auth-fatal-unknown-passdb-driver-mysql

an hour or two before I saw your response. I changed that and no better. Unfortunately postconf. (which worked for me this AM) is now showing command not found
Strange this is it I still in my locate.db. so that mean I deleted some time today

Wile surfing I remember seeing something about AUTH problems with MYSQL8.0. and wonder if this has anything to do with thia
Error: auth-client: conn unix:login (uid=0): Timeout waiting for handshake from auth server.

Logging in as root is fine, though. (Or at least I do that all the time, and I'm a DBA :) )

I play like one but that was told to me years ago

I also wonder is I got a permission issue

Ok postfix-current installed. postconf is back and shows mysql support is installed

All in all as far s I can see mysql 8.0 is installed and working as advertised. I have read there are AUTH problems with MYSQL8.0 but that is something for another day

I have my typos and I have corrected.

Ok postfix-current installed. postconf is back and shows mysql support is installed

my remaining issues are with how I was handling security with. Maia-Mailguard

Back