then I did
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
make clean
make install clean
and then I wrote in /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"

after reboot I see no graphic, only command prompt.

what I do wrong?

Imonbsd said:
I did [cmd=]pkg_add -r gnome2[/cmd]

then I did
Code:
cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome2
make clean
make install clean

Those are two different ways of installing the same thing. Use one or the other, not both.

gdm makes problems no start no progs after instalation

[ separate thread merged in -- Mod. ]

I installed x and gdm.

I started by [cmd=]gdm start[/cmd] then it loaded gdm, but there was no login prompt and no start-menu or some programms to double-click.

What is wrong with it?

I have installed by:

Code:
pkg -r gnome2
before i changed into /usr/ports/x11/xorg and typed
Code:
make install clean
and answered those questions the best I could.

Then I made some mods to my /etc/rc.conf.

Excuse me, but I am new to FreeBSD and not used to it.

Hope someone can help me to get gnome going.

If you've still the problem after X install, try alt + f9 to switch to graphical view.

If nothing happens, you can launch gdm (the program launching gnome and offering you a session) manually:
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm start

Hello,

thanks for all the reply! I thought gnome and X are two different things.... Does it intall X automatically after you install gnome with

Code:
pkg -r gnome2
? Didn´t know this. Is it messed up now? I thought gnome is related with the gdm...hmm

I can start X with
Code:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm start
, I knew this. But the problem is, that it freezes. And there is no start-menu, nor icons.. I know, that there are other consoles,too. I use Alt+F2 to stop gdm, when it freezes.

I understand English, but I read it in a book by Jürgen Dankoweit. The thing is, that you want to get gnome run just as fast as possible, instead of reading so many pages first.

If I get this run, I´ll read, I promise. And it´s hard to read with links-browser or something similar on a console. ;) And I really hate to use Windows7. I was running Linux. Windows only for work, if necessary....

So do you have any suggestions to solve? Or should I install freeBSD once again from scratch?

greets

Oh,

I see now that the posts where put together. @Dutch: You have cut of some things of my original post....

Ok,

sorry for bothering again. I know now why there are no programms :) I have to install them. Ok, Linux was some kind of different, at this. :) I´ll try and than report...

But what about login prompt? How do I install it?

Back