Solved Can't release on macOS

I use macOS because VirtualBox is very uncomfortable. So I downloaded the source code on my Mac and went to release folder. I executed /bin/sh release.sh But there are errors.
release.sh: line 44: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
release.sh: line 44: `load_chroot_env() { }'

What's the problem? I heard macOS is based on FreeBSD and Mach kernel. Should I change some settings or can I only release FreeBSD only on FreeBSD?

Well, you should ask this one on a MacOS support forum.

Maybe you could explain what you are trying to achieve! From your above post I wasn't able to derive that.
What are you trying to build? Where did you download its source from?

Your assumption of macOS being based on FreeBSD is misleading. Although there is some truth to it.
NeXTSTEP, the operating system MacOS X was derived from, was largely based on FreeBSD 4 - FreeBSD 6(this was innacurate, see corrections further down by Tingo) BSD code, but with the BSD kernel replaced by Mach. So while FreeBSD and MacOS X share a past, and under the hood macOS still has lots of BSD code, their path has significantly diverged since. Do not consider macOS to be a FreeBSD variant. It never was. NeXT simply used large portions of BSD code to kickstart the development of their new operating system. It was a better and faster way than starting to write an OS from scratch.
FreeBSD system source, or a FreeBSD application source from the ports collection should never be expected to compile under macOS. Even though one can write cross-platform C or C++ code that builds equally well on FreeBSD, macOS, Linux, and other systems.

Last edited:
MacOS is not at all based on FreeBSD. Not at all clear what OP is trying to accomplish. Release what?
S/He downloaded the holy FreeBSD sources to a MacIntrash and tried to build with the release.sh script.
mintchoco, you can't do that this way, it must fail since there're far too many differences between these two systems. You can build FreeBSD on a FreeBSD system, maybe in another BSD or Linux with a careful setup of build options & tools. Best option might be to setup a hardware virtualized machine - not VBox, for shure Mac has a better (in terms of performance) solution available. Install FreeBSD into that, and then you can play around with it's build system. Install the docs: pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc, replace de with your native tongue. The docs are under /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd

NeXTSTEP, the operating system MacOS X was derived from, was largely based on FreeBSD 4 - FreeBSD 6 code, but with the BSD kernel replaced by Mach. So while FreeBSD and MacOS X share a past, and under the hood macOS still has lots of FreeBSD code, their path has significantly diverged since.
Please, when you are correcting some part of the unix history, at least try to get it right.
NextSTEP is based on 4.3BSD-Tahoe, later 4.3BSD-Reno then 4.4BSD (source: Wikipedia NextSTEP). FreeBSD is based on 386BSD, which is based on BSD/Net 2, itself is based on 4.3BSD-Reno. FreeBSD 3.x is based on 4.4BSD-Lite (source Wikipedia History of the Berkeley Software Distribution). So NextSTEP and FreeBSD shares history, but not like NextSTEP is based on FreeBSD code.

Darwins XNU kernel (heart of macOS) is based on Mach IPC primitives, FreeBSD APIs and facilities (ie. the BSD process model, BSD socket APIs, BSD UNIX security model, etc), and I/O Kit.

Everything else (or most of it) above that is Apple derived stuff and proprietary. Like Cocoa, Appkit, and it’s various “Core” frameworks. macOS is BSD, but it’s not FreeBSD.

• Thanks
Reactions: a6h
Back