Solved Can't print with Canon MP620

Hi,

I run FreebsdFreeBSD 10.2 and I encounter a problem with my printer WiFi connected.

When i try to print a test page in CUPS, I have this message error:
Code:
Network host 'name_of_printer' is out of paper.

It's the first time iI see this message, iI have installed this printer on many other nix* OS before without any problems.

Any ideas please ?

i have installed this printer on many other nix* os before without any problems.

OpenPrinting calls this printer a "paperweight".

Canon's US website says there are no linux drivers. FreeBSD is not even an option. If you got this running on a nix*os, I and maybe others would like to know how you did it.

Which ppd do you select in the cups interface and can you parse it for the cupsFilter?

grep cupsFilter canon.ppd

The filters are often closed source and compiled on a Mac OS/X system. I do not have a Mac but I have heard that OS/X has a FreeBSD userland. Maybe the filter binary can be copied over to FreeBSD and function. I think it is a long shoot.

The FreeBSD cups guide has sections on configuration and trouble shooting.

I just ran into this guide. It may help you sort this out.

OpenPrinting calls this printer a "paperweight".

Canon's US website says there are no linux drivers. FreeBSD is not even an option. If you got this running on a nix*os, I and maybe others would like to know how you did it.
I think this is mainly if you want to drive the printer directly via its USB connection. There would indeed be no way to get it working. But the printer is also capable of network printing using the standard IPP protocol. So as long as CUPS is able to use IPP it should work.

That said, looking a bit further, IPP mostly deals with submitting and managing print jobs. I'm not sure if it actually defines the format of such a job. But if it worked before it should work now.

(disclaimer: I don't use CUPS, I don't even have a printer)

I have finally found the solution with the help of another forum member, by removing status entry in /usr/local/etc/cups/printers.conf file.

Back