can't print from cups canon pixma ip4600 usb cable

Actually, I was going to suggest you do a portupgrade to ghostscript and force it to rebuild dependencies, but I suppose you've already deinstalled ghostcript, so I don't think that will work.

At this point, I think I would recommend deleting all of your installed packages and start installing ports from scratch. You could keep manually reinstalling dependencies until it works, but who knows how deep this problem goes. It could very well be quicker just to start over. Sorry, it's not the preferred answer, but I don't have the expertise to pinpoint exactly where the problem is.

i think it's some kind of permissions problem. it gives me an insufficient permissions message even when i'm root. when cups asks for my passwd, i use my root account and then it asks again. i suspect a driver problem, but we'll see. Furthermore, my printer isn't listed under the usb devices anymore...

yeah, i set the permissions. here's what i'm getting from cups: i go to do admin stuff, and when i save changes, I am prompted for the root passwd.
Code:
[B]A username and password are being requested by http://localhost:631. The site says: "CUPS"[/B]
I type in "root" and my passwd, but then I am prompted again. i never get it to work... I just get a blank page. its like nobody has permission to touch anything. and with root, that is just weird.

You are using the correct password for 'root', of course?
If your user is a member of the cups group (and the right ownership and permissions are set on the necessary devices) your username and password should also work.

curses said:
My cups home page looks kinda funky, though, now... not very neat. the firefox version of the page still says 1.3.10, but the konqueror version says 1.4.2 but it doesn't seem to render right.

I wonder if this is related to the login problem you're experiencing. I'm not sure how cups provides its webserver, but I suppose you might have files leftover from your old version that are causing conflicts with the web interface. If you do end up deleting all of your packages, make sure you remove everything that might be left over in /usr/local/ before you start installing things again. If you still want to try to resolve this manually, maybe you can find a pkg-plist for the old version of the cups-base port to compare to the latest. That should give you an idea of what files might still be lingering.

for some reason the cups page is ok now, but i still get the goofy authentification problem. there's probably some stupid file somewhere i need to edit. I KNOW that i am using the right root password after i've typed it in five times or so. If i could just freaking print, i'd be able to turn my whole computer over to freebsd. and now my linux is freaking out. (grumble) this isn't gonna make doing homework fun. Well, one thing at a time, right? :) I have an idea where one of the errors might be... I'll check it out now. no good. i thought i'd get rid of some hp stuff. don't ask why i had it in the first place, i don't remember.

Back