Can't ping pi4.local

I develop two GUI apps in Go for amateur television. They're published on GitHub free and open (github.com/ea7kir). Both run on Raspberry Pi 4's within a Wayland DE on Pi OS Bookworm, as a single application fullscreen on 7" touchscreens (kiosk mode, if you prefer). However, the RPI distribution includes loads of unwanted bloat, so I thought I'd give the latest FreeBSD a try.

The applications are strictly for home use on a 192.168.1.0 local area network. Apple, for whatever reason, defaults the hostname to a .local TDL and my home router (provided by Movistar, Spain) has no trouble remembering this. I can ping or ssh into any of my LAN devices.

As said, openmdns is working now, but I've discovered a bigger problem in another thread here which prevents me from adopting FreeBSD for the foreseeable future. The Raspberry Pi version doesn't have a video driver for Wayland. People may question why Wayland, but hey, I'm an amateur and, despite being 78, like to be trendy. Digital Amateur Television (DATV) via a geostationary satellite is experimental, cutting edge and also trendy.

Perhaps I should have explained my use case from the start. Thank you to all who have helped.
Sounds like a fun project!
Too bad it didn't work out on FreeBSD.

Back