Can't install FreeBSD 7.4 and 8.2

Hello to all!

I'm having problem with installation of FreeBSD 7.4 and FreeBSD 8.2. When I finish the installation after the installation computer won't boot, the hard disks I slice automatically and I just install kern developer and en doc.

BTW I'm using:

Mainboard MSI AM2+
Processor Athlon X2 3600+ dual core
Ram 2 GB DDR2
Nvidia graphic card 9400 GT with 512 DDR3

Could someone tell me where I am making a mistake when I want to install FreeBSD and please help me. I would love to have that OS on my computer thank you.

Any errors? Did you install on SATA or PATA drive? Have you tried without ACPI? Have you tried looking for a BIOS update?

No, he doesn't show anything. Here is the thing: after the installation I reboot computer and it is starting to boot up and it just resets and it starts to boot again and again it resets and every time it is like that.

That could mean that is trying to boot another hdd (like a usb that you maybe have forgot plugged in)
Yes that could be a problem because I have two disks and what should I do with second one disk?

Just remove the second one. Keep only the disk with the OS and tell from bios to boot from this hdd. Try to boot. If boot, then the problem was the second disk.
You must setup the OS first to mount the second disk on boot! One step the time.

I have one more question. I'm slicing the disks with auto option, is that good? Maybe it would be better that I set up the partitions manually, but I don't know how to do that. I have 80Gb harddisk and I want use all harddisk :S

It is the same way however I install. I was in bios now and bios is set: first boot sequence is cdrom and second boot sequence is the harddisk where I install the os, and the third boot sequence is disabled.

I think this is all correct and it seems that I should install os without ACPI, and if that doesn't work then I should update my BIOS.

I will disable ACPI during the installation. And yes, one more question" when I make installation and when I want to install gnome2.32, I should just type [cmd=]pkg_add -v -r gnome2[/cmd] or should I do something before that?

I think I can't disable ACPI because when I hit 2 I get this:
Code:
md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4194304bytes at0xffffffff80d9fe20
and it won't boot.

No, I have not uptated my bios yet because I don't know how to do that. I'm totally noob :S

Can you tell me how to do that? And thanks for your time :)

The easy way. Install a windows. Go to your motherboards official site. Find your motherboard and will have a section Downloads. Somewhere there will have the last update for your bios. Bios update is not difficult. Just run the exe (Or have instructions). But is completely dangerous! Flashing motherboard with wrong bios may destroy your motherboard! So be sure that you download bios update for your mobo and always from the official site! After bios update, your bios, may also have more options :)
After that try again to install FreeBSD :)

I have updated my bios and still I have the same problems. Well, thank you all very much for your time and I'm giving up. I'm totally noob and I think it is problem in me not in OS. So again thank you all for helping me.

Try to install 9.0-CURRENT, maybe there's a bug in FreeBSD (related to your hardware) that is already resolved in 9.0.

You should probably mention that 9.0-CURRENT is extremely experimental and likely unstable. Especially to someone who is about to give up on a tested RELEASE platform .. PC-BSD is a much safer bet.

I have updated my bios and still I have the same problems. Well, thank you all very much for your time and I'm giving up. I'm totally noob and I think it is problem in me not in OS. So again thank you all for helping me.
I believe that this guy, one day will be back and will try again :)

Back