Can't get kde work!

Hi friends, I have been following so many KDE Toturials install, I have not succeed to get it work properly! I have a Radeon Pro RX550 4GB gpu!
I have failed to get it work with the KDE desktop login screen so many times. i have installed and reinstalled FreeBSD 13.1 64bit after every fail! now i am on fresh installed FreeBSD and i am afraid to fail the process again!
Do any of you have a working toturial for how to install the kde with Radeon Pro RX550 4GB gpu?

Yep, one step at a time. Lets get Xorg working first. If using packages, I would do:

# pkg install xorg

Then the same .xinitrc as elgrande and see if you get a working xterm in the top left corner when you run.

$ startx

If you don't, it means vesa isn't working with xorg and we can start looking at installing amdgpu or radeon KMS kernel modules. If it does work, then we will still install the kernel modules but at least know if something breaks at that point as to what the cause will be.

I would first try to get Xorg running by creating a file .xinitrc in your home. Content of the file is just the line
Code:
xterm
Then type startx and see if X is working.
P.S.: make sure to have x11/xinit and x11/xterm installed.

Xorg defaults to twm so if you want to test X an extra .xinitrc is not needed.

But twm is not included when using xorg-minimal.

If you don't, it means vesa isn't working with xorg and we can start looking at installing amdgpu or radeon KMS kernel modules.

It that case it depends if its an old BIOS or an UEFI environment.

Vesa should work ootb, while scfb needs an small extra configuration.

Hi friends, I have been following so many KDE Toturials install, I have not succeed to get it work properly! I have a Radeon Pro RX550 4GB gpu!
I have failed to get it work with the KDE desktop login screen so many times. i have installed and reinstalled FreeBSD 13.1 64bit after every fail! now i am on fresh installed FreeBSD and i am afraid to fail the process again!
Do any of you have a working toturial for how to install the kde with Radeon Pro RX550 4GB gpu?
Pro??? Funny, I have a non-pro Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB, and got Wayland and KDE to work... Read this thread: Thread amdgpu-polaris-freebsd13-rc1-module-not-found.79264/, and follow the Handbook.... Worked great for me... Just watch out for enabling dbus in /etc/rc.conf and mounting procfs in /etc/fstab.

I would first try to get Xorg running by creating a file .xinitrc in your home. Content of the file is just the line
Code:
xterm
Then type startx and see if X is working.
P.S.: make sure to have x11/xinit and x11/xterm installed.
I get a server error, just like the previous time!

Attachments

• IMG_20220914_232154.jpg
    IMG_20220914_232154.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
Pro??? Funny, I have a non-pro Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB, and got Wayland and KDE to work... Read this thread: Thread amdgpu-polaris-freebsd13-rc1-module-not-found.79264/, and follow the Handbook.... Worked great for me... Just watch out for enabling dbus in /etc/rc.conf and mounting procfs in /etc/fstab.
I don't know about you, but i got it from banggood for a good price!
[Kr1,914.88]Yeston RX550-4G 4HDMI GA 4GB GDDR5 128Bit 1071MHz 6000MHz Graphics Card for Video Multi-Screen Series Computer Components from Computers & Office on banggood

Yep, one step at a time. Lets get Xorg working first. If using packages, I would do:

# pkg install xorg

Then the same .xinitrc as elgrande and see if you get a working xterm in the top left corner when you run.

$ startx

If you don't, it means vesa isn't working with xorg and we can start looking at installing amdgpu or radeon KMS kernel modules. If it does work, then we will still install the kernel modules but at least know if something breaks at that point as to what the cause will be.
Did not work! So for this GPU of mine, which drivers are you prefer me to install?

(edit: linking to external source once is enough. --mod)

I do not have a AMD GPU, but I would now try the instructions under section AMD GPU here:
Got to login screen finally! But the boot process was flicking in red, green, blue lines! Here is what i did see picture! To good to be true, after typing in my password and login there is only a black screen with X as mouse pointer! Nothing more! No software, no background nothing. Just that X.
i rebooted the PC and loged in with X11 plasma i get into the kde desktop environment! I have no software. Konsole would be nice to have at this moment for pkg install commands

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022_0915_092056.jpg
    Screenshot_2022_0915_092056.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220915_093109.jpg
    IMG_20220915_093109.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
Right, You own a Polaris card and then normally it's "amdgpu".
[Radeon RX580 & Pro WX are known to work]
But try first something like,
.xinitrc
exec fluxbox

/var/log/Xorg.0.log might have information.

So it looks like vesa (or more likely scfb) isn't working for you. Thats fine; we will use the amdgpu/radeon drivers instead. So you first want to install them from ports or packages.

# pkg install drm-kmod

You will also see at the end of this installation what needs to go into your kld_list. However first, before doing so and rebooting, lets do it manually because I am not entirely sure if you will need radeonkms or amdgpu.

Try issuing a:

# kldload amdgpu

If your console flickers and then you see a smaller (high res font), we are good to go. Otherwise try:

# kldload radeonkms

If you startx now, Xorg should autodetect the modesetting driver and use that. It will work 99% well but misses out on the amdgpu/radeonkms specific features like TearFree. That will be our next step if the above works.

Make a note of which of the above commands worked, that is the one you want to add to rc.conf.local:

Code:
kld_list+=[amdgpu|radeonkms]

Note also that if one works but X11 still fails; then still try the other. I have had a fairly modern AMD card that should work with amdgpu and looks like it does with the high-res terminal but then fails during Xorg. I think this was fixed since but as you know, hardware is a constant treadmill.

So it looks like vesa (or more likely scfb) isn't working for you. Thats fine; we will use the amdgpu/radeon drivers instead. So you first want to install them from ports or packages.

# pkg install drm-kmod

You will also see at the end of this installation what needs to go into your kld_list. However first, before doing so and rebooting, lets do it manually because I am not entirely sure if you will need radeonkms or amdgpu.

Try issuing a:

# kldload amdgpu

If your console flickers and then you see a smaller (high res font), we are good to go. Otherwise try:

# kldload radeonkms

If you startx now, Xorg should autodetect the modesetting driver and use that. It will work 99% well but misses out on the amdgpu/radeonkms specific features like TearFree. That will be our next step if the above works.

Make a note of which of the above commands worked, that is the one you want to add to rc.conf.local:

Code:

Note also that if one works but X11 still fails; then still try the other. I have had a fairly modern AMD card that should work with amdgpu and looks like it does with the high-res terminal but then fails during Xorg. I think this was fixed since but as you know, hardware is a constant treadmill.
Thank you for your reply, so i have wrong driver installed? and by that, it means that i have to remove the old driver? if yes, how do i do it?

Thank you for your reply, so i have wrong driver installed? and by that, it means that i have to remove the old driver? if yes, how do i do it?
You shouldn't need to remove anything (unlike in Windows), nothing will conflict. You just need to lead the correct driver as per my post above. I just wanted to get *something* appearing on your screen first so we can take small steps and test as we go.

vesa / scfb kernel modules come with FreeBSD in the base install (and the corresponding Xorg drivers come with xorg package). The amdgpu/radeonkms/(intel)i915kms all come with the drm-kmod package. These are separate from the FreeBSD base install for various reasons.

# pkg install drm-kmod

Try issuing a:

# kldload amdgpu

# kldload radeonkms

Code:

# pkg install drm-kmod

Try issuing a:

# kldload amdgpu

# kldload radeonkms

Code:

=====
Message from drm-510-kmod-5.10.113_5:

--
The drm-510-kmod port can be enabled for amdgpu (for AMD
GPUs starting with the HD7000 series / Tahiti) or i915kms (for Intel
APUs starting with HD3000 / Sandy Bridge) through kld_list in
/etc/rc.conf. radeonkms for older AMD GPUs can be loaded and there are
some positive reports if EFI boot is NOT enabled (similar to amdgpu).

For amdgpu: kld_list="amdgpu"
For Intel: kld_list="i915kms"
For radeonkms: kld_list="radeonkms"

Please ensure that all users requiring graphics are members of the
"video" group.
# kld_list="radeonkms"
#
# kldload amdgpu
# kldload radeonkms
kldload: can't load radeonkms: module already loaded or in kernel

That's ok. It means the hardware driver is already loaded.
Can you post the output of :
Code:
pciconf -lv | egrep -i "radeon|amd"
In order to check the chipset.

That's ok. It means the hardware driver is already loaded.
Can you post the output of :
Code:
pciconf -lv | egrep -i "radeon|amd"
In order to check the chipset.
# pciconf -lv | egrep -i "radeon|amd"
vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
device = 'Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X]'
vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'
device = 'Baffin HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X]'
#

Back